starting strength gym

Thread: persistent squat problem

Default persistent squat problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Since I began lifting about a year ago, my number one goal is to have a safe barbell back squat that I can load. But no matter what I do, no matter how much I research and how hard I try--I have even seen a physical therapist and a strength coach--I can not figure out why the hell my spine does weird things when I squat. So I am stuck in practice mode.

I have improved my external and internal hip rotation; I have gotten shoes for my ankle mobility; I have practiced symmetrical loading; I have even considered that my legs could be different lengths. Can NOT figure it out. And unfortunately, few of the PTs in my town have squat racks (I lift at home, by the way).

I love lifting weights. But holy damn if I am not so frustrated about my squat right now. My hips have become rubber bands and I can go parallel in shoes, but my spine continues to display lateral flexion and I have been advised not to load the movement until I get it fixed.

Any observations from the following videos would be greatly appreciated.

This video is of my low-bar squat from a rear angle, where you can see my weird spinal curve on the descent. (Hopefully I successfully turned the sound off, but sorry of you hear some Always Sunny in the background)

- YouTube

This video is the same squat but from the side.

- YouTube

This video is my high-bar squat--the issue is worse during high-bar.

- YouTube

Videos are set to private

I'm so sorry, Ryan. I just changed them.

These honestly look like pretty good squats to me. I'm assuming you only have your shirt off to make your spine more visible? Anyone I've ever coached who had scoliosis or uneven squats like this never had any issues. Not all humans have the same exact anthropometry. I've always let pain be the guide. If you are not having pain I see no reason not to program appropriately and get stronger

Thanks, Ryan. Yep, shirt off was because I have been obsessed with my spinal angle so I check and adjust a lot while practicing.

I thought there was a possibility you would say they look ok. My cousin who is a PT said that too, but my current PT in town has a different viewpoint.

Yes, I am pain free. I think I will take your advice and continue working on my squat, and will just be attentive to my form staying at least at this level.

Thank you tremendously for your feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    No problem