starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check - Low Bar - 185 lb - 5 reps

Default Squat Check - Low Bar - 185 lb - 5 reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, this is my first post. Can you evaluate my form? I followed all the video instructions stickied here.

Low Bar Squat - 185 lb (84 kg) - 73% - 5 Reps - November 2, 2021 - YouTube

This is low bar at 185 lb (84 kg) or 73% of my 1RM. 5 reps.

Note: my upper back is permanently slightly rounded even when standing straight up with no weight. I also need a wide grip to get under the bar, but then move my wrists closer to get a tight, narrow grip before unracking.

Widen your stance so your heels are at shoulder width. Toes pointed out about 30 degrees.
    Look down(about 3-5 feet in front of you) and resist the urge to look in the mirror.
    Utilize the stretch reflex. Once you get below parallel, explosively drive your hips UP
    Its also hard to tell from the vid if the bar is actually low enough on your back

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Widen your stance so your heels are at shoulder width. Toes pointed out about 30 degrees.
    Look down(about 3-5 feet in front of you) and resist the urge to look in the mirror.
    Utilize the stretch reflex. Once you get below parallel, explosively drive your hips UP
    Its also hard to tell from the vid if the bar is actually low enough on your back
    Thanks so much Ryan! I will try your suggestions Friday, on my next legs day. The only thing...if I stand any wider, I cannot squat as low due to my anthropometry. I have tried squatting with a narrow, medium, and wide width. I get lowest with this narrow stance, which is barely below parallel as it is. :-( I am not sure what to do.

Regarding the height of the bar on my back, here is a pic from the back from that same session, if it helps:

https://i.postimg.cc/rsjXwjjC/pic-back.jpg

Thanks also for noticing I peaked in the mirror, lol. You have sharp eyes!

The bar actually looks little too low in that pic. Sometimes it takes some reps to get it right. There should be a notch for it right below the spine of the scapula. Feel free to play with the stance. It can vary a little between people, but not too much

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    The bar actually looks little too low in that pic. Sometimes it takes some reps to get it right. There should be a notch for it right below the spine of the scapula. Feel free to play with the stance. It can vary a little between people, but not too much
    Thanks again Ryan! I am grateful for this advice and am looking forward to applying it Friday. I will see if I can widen the stance a little and angle out a little more. I also really want to try to shoot up out if the hole fast, but those are heavy weights for me, even with a spring reflex. But I will work hard on that. I will post an update video soon, after my technique gets refined a little.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds good