starting strength gym

Thread: Anthropometry or ignorance? Problem with the deadlift starting position.

Default Anthropometry or ignorance? Problem with the deadlift starting position.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Maybe it is my build? I find that when I approach the bar and bend over to grab the bar, my back is arched like half of the McDonald's logo; subsequently, no matter how tight I try to get, cueing "chest-up," I can not obtain a neutral spine unless I intentionally drop my hips a little bit after bracing and before initiating the pull.

Some Redditors have mistakenly claimed this is a loading issue--it is not, however, because it is a problem before I even unslacken the bar.

So what I have normally been doing is this: I approach the bar with the bar over mid-foot; I keep my knees relatively straight while bending to grab the bar; once my hands pass my knees I initiate a slight knee bend until my shins touch the bar. (This is where I am under the impression that I am not supposed to drop my hips). I then brace, before dropping my hips just enough so that my chest-up cue results in a neutral spine. Then I pull.

I have tried adjusting my stance and toe angle. It seems like i can only get a neutral spine if I drop my hips.

Am I being a doofus?

-Aaron

Yes, you are being a doofus because you have not posted a video.

By george I suppose that would help, wouldn't it. Ok, so, the first link is when I do NOT drop my hips--this is what I think results in the more problematic, less neutral spine. (I only managed three reps here at 240 as I was already pretty fatigued):

Deadlift with hips NOT dropped - YouTube

Now here is what it looks like when I DO drop my hips to get a more neutral spine. Again at 240:

deadlift 240 - YouTube

I really appreciate you guys. I wanna nail this and just like eat steaks all winter and lift heavy shiiiiiit. Safely.

Oh, also, I do have a belt coming.

The more I compare these now the more they look the same--with the first video actually looking BETTER. In the first video, I feel like my hips are dropping appropriately as I bend my knees and bring my shins to the bar, then I seem to be achieving a reasonably neutral back angle (even though I then accidentally drop my hips a little without realizing it). In the second video, when I intentionally drop my hips, I am not necessarily improving my situation, just creating more overall instability through added motion.

It seems to me like if I were to focus even just a little bit more on chest up and tightness/removing slack from the bar using my setup for the first video, I would be good.

Do you agree with that, and would you agree that my first video is showing an adequate amount of spinal safety and neutrality? Thank you so much for listening to me think out loud.

You need to rock back off your toes after you bring your shins to the bar. Or better yet, just drop your hips straight down until your shins touch and stay midfoot.

Looks like you just don't know how to set your back in extension. Neither video shows good lumbar extension. You're also trying to blend steps 4 and 5 together where you lift the chest and start pulling, so you never really give yourself a chance to set the back.
    Slowly "squeeze" your chest up, and think about dropping your belly to the bar. Or thinking about using your chest to pull your belly to the bar. Present your taint to the wall behind you when you do so your ass tilts up. Like you're trying to touch your ass to your shoulders behind your back.

Watch this... Lower Back Position Control with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube
    Then this Fixing a Rounded Low Back in the Deadlift with Nick Delgadillo - YouTube

But you shouldn't need to drop the hips further to set the back. You'll end up being out of position with the bar in front of midfoot.

Also, check the sticky at the top for filming guidelines for the future.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, Pete. I will do all of these things.

This already makes so much sense after watching the videos. Thanks Pete.