starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 24 at 92kg (~200lbs)

Hi first post here, I've been training for about 3 months now. Feel like I've hit a bit of plateau with the squat and notice my form breaking down when I try to increase weight.

Current 3x5 PB - 120kg (265lbs)

I could do 2 sets of 122.5kg but the form was terrible, I notice myself hurling my head upwards on final reps when I'm stuck mid squat. Any advice for this?

Set 1
    Squat Form Check 122.5kg dark - YouTube
    Set 2
    Squat form check #2 122.5kg - YouTube
    Set 3 (failed)
    Squat form check set 3 fail - YouTube
    Better lighting single set
    Squat brighter - YouTube

Thanks!

Pick a spot on the floor 3-5 feet in front of you and keep your eyes there throughout the entire set. Keep your chin down. Drive your hips the whole way up. There are only 2 pieces of equipment necessary to become a successful lifter - weightlifting shoes and a belt. I would order them

Thanks for the advice, I thought I was looking at the right spot but looking back at the records I do let my chin up and have no focus. What does driving your hips the whole way up look like? I've been meaning to buy a belt and shoes so I will get on the right away. Thanks again!

On every rep once you get halfway up you start lifting your chest and your chin. Chest down. Chin down. Everything down. Except your butt. Drive that UP

A visual that I found helpful is one Rip uses in the Blue Book. Imagine that a chain is attached to your sacrum and it's pulling you straight up out of the bottom. Checking out the starting strength youtube channel will also give you some great insight.