starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DL form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for taking the time. I tried my best to go through the 5 steps in a consistent order this time.

Better job of setting your back, but when you went to pull you lost it because of a few reasons.

Focus on pulling slack out of the bar rather than jerking it off the ground
    (Explained why here: Stop Jerking the Deadlift Off the Ground with Victoria Diaz - YouTube

-Also focus on not letting the bar after you get it set up over your midfoot in the beginning, there is a lot of movement of the bar throughout your reps.
    -rock back a bit off of your toes and back onto your midfoot, but that doesn't mean drop the hips.
    -Take less time between reps as it is exhausting to be in that position for a long time
    -Keep hands on the bar (basically did a double and a triple there)

These habits mainly come from practicing them in the warm up and then executing during the work sets, so work to add them to your warm ups and record your warm ups (for personal use not to submit here) to see where parts are breaking down to then fix them.

The back is not being set. If you aren't able to accomplish it after watching the first two vids I posted and the standard cues aren't working it may be time to see a Coach, as some tactile cues may be in order

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    The back is not being set. If you aren't able to accomplish it after watching the first two vids I posted and the standard cues aren't working it may be time to see a Coach, as some tactile cues may be in order
    Seeing a coach seems to be outside of my capabilities. I live in Philadelphia, PA, and from what I googled it would probably have to involve a 12+ hour train ride and hotel situation to see an SSC. I don't have enough money to do that right now.

I'm gonna drop the weight a looot more. I'll increase the weight when I get a green light. Right now, from the feedback I'm getting, I don't even think I know how to lift a broom stick with a flat back.

Thanks for the advice Mundo. I'll see if following that advice helps me get it right on Wednesday.

The weight on the bar has little to do with your set position at the start, so dropping 40% is not going to help. Watch the videos in post #2 again, and learn to feel the lumbar extension.

Yeah I know that, sorry for not making it clear, I'd just rather the weight be not too high for risk of injury if I can't even get the starting position correct.

Millions of people deadlift wrong every day, and don't get injured. If you want to lift light weights, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by megawax1 View Post
    Seeing a coach seems to be outside of my capabilities. I live in Philadelphia, PA, and from what I googled it would probably have to involve a 12+ hour train ride and hotel situation to see an SSC. I don't have enough money to do that right now.
    If you take a look at the Starting Strength coach directory, you will see that there are a number of Starting Strength coaches in the Mid-Atlantic area.

If it was me, I'd pop down to Baltimore (2-hour bus ride) and hit the Five x 3 gym and see either Coach Socolinsky (there are two). They have a lot of great content on the website and they could fix you up quick on a Saturday morning (no hotel).

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    If you take a look at the Starting Strength coach directory, you will see that there are a number of Starting Strength coaches in the Mid-Atlantic area.

If it was me, I'd pop down to Baltimore (2-hour bus ride) and hit the Five x 3 gym and see either Coach Socolinsky (there are two). They have a lot of great content on the website and they could fix you up quick on a Saturday morning (no hotel).
    Yeah, I noticed that page this morning, glad you brought it up. there are some coaches much closer than I originally thought. I might be able to pull something off.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by megawax1 View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that page this morning, glad you brought it up. there are some coaches much closer than I originally thought. I might be able to pull something off.
    Would love to read from you an update to this post if you manage to see a Starting Strength coach!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast