starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DL form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I think I've got the back angle under control now. The session before this I still had a bit of rounding on some reps, but this session, I think I nailed it. My lower back was lit up like a christmas tree immediately after this set. It felt great.

What helped was fully extending my legs after each rep and bringing my knees to the bar from the same consistent position. I was assuming I didn't need to do that before, but it made the back positioning look very consistent and acceptable to me.

I'm trying to make sure taking my breath is the final step before I start the pull. My body keeps wanting to take a breath a second before I've finished setting my back.

This is a bad angle to see much of anything useful. Look at the sticky at the top for filming guidelines.
    Your back is lit up because you're initiating the pulling by lifting the chest and opening the hips rather than starting with knee extension and pushing the floor away with your feet. Knees/shins come back first, driven by the quads, to break the bar off the ground.

Alright. Change angle to front quarter and start the pull with quad drive. I'll try my best, thank you.

Still struggling. Thought I figured it out, but I didn't. All I want for christmas is to see a coach.

Here is 290 pounds. Back is still rounding.

The bar comes up unevenly on the first rep. I have damaged tissue in the right leg, it may be why, but I'm not certain. I was denied an MRI so I'm hesitant to be more specific about the damage since my self-diagnosis may be incorrect, even though I've done ridiculous amounts of research. I can lift weights well enough that I don't want to let it define me.

I'm not happy with what I'm doing with my neck, it caused me some unsettling symptoms when the inflammation kicked in. I'm pretty sure I'm keeping my gaze locked into position, it's just a neck extension independent of the gaze. What do I do, tuck the chin a bit in the starting position, keep my head still, and only move the eyes? I'm probably picking my head up too high in that starting position.

On the lockout of the 5th rep I felt what I could only describe as a very low point on the lumbar erectors going from flexion into extension. It was unsettling, but I felt no pain, only general inflammatory soreness the next day. My wishful thinking is that that sensory feedback is the anchor that my mind needed to always get the lumbar extension correct now, but like I said, probably wishful thinking.

I did 2 backoff sets of 225 x 3 as well to practice hook grip and back control. Considering getting straps.

Well, today's deadlifts looked way better to me. I ended up deloading to 275 lbs and used hook grip. I changed my stance and my grip width a bit. Didn't attempt the 5th rep, because on the 4th rep my fingers began to slip off of my thumb due to sweat. I did a single afterwards at 290 lbs to make up for the missed rep but it's not included.

Quote Originally Posted by megawax1 View Post
    Didn't attempt the 5th rep, because on the 4th rep my fingers began to slip off of my thumb due to sweat.
    chalk . . .

Quote Originally Posted by megawax1 View Post
    Well, today's deadlifts looked way better to me. I ended up deloading to 275 lbs and used hook grip. I changed my stance and my grip width a bit. Didn't attempt the 5th rep, because on the 4th rep my fingers began to slip off of my thumb due to sweat. I did a single afterwards at 290 lbs to make up for the missed rep but it's not included.

You are improving for sure.
    As far as I can tell, you need to cut the time between reps and not reset everytime you do one. A set of five should take 30-40 seconds, mabye 45. This might help:
    Time Between Reps | Andrew Lewis
    Also, reading the "Pulling Mechanics" articles once or twice is always useful.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    chalk . . .
    Yep. I hope being more liberal about it on the hook fingers helps today.

Thanks for the recommendations Francesco, I checked out pulling mechanics and it reinforced some suspicion that my problem was that I wasn't using my lats to pull back the humerus. I think the reason I wasn't doing it was because I was afraid of using the wrong musculature, since I read somewhere here that scapular retraction would be a bad idea.

Added 10 lbs. Overdid the chalk. Focused on lat engagement. Trusted that I had the steps memorized and went faster. Did an extra rep because I wasn't sure if I did 5 or not. Spoiler, extra rep sucked balls.

Will be adding another 10 lbs next session. Gotta add some more distance between my squat poundage.

starting strength coach development program
    Don't look up, pick a spot 10-15 feet ahead of you and keep your eyes planted. when you set the back, fight the urge to drop your hips.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast