starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check (back, arms)

Default Deadlift form check (back, arms)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

I'm training in the Intermediate phase, currently doing 3RM on my intensity DL workout. I feel like I could probably be doing 4 or even 5 reps, but I think my back is rounding/softening a bit, starting at the 3rd rep, and I'm hesitant to push past that until I get a form checkup. I know it's really hard to maintain perfect form (i.e. totally straight back) when the weight gets heavy and you're tired, and so some deviations are "permissible"...however, I'm not sure if the deviations I'm experiencing are "permissible," or if it's time for me to reset the weight and/or adjust my technique.

I took videos from 2 different angles - one from the side, which allows viewing of my back angle, and one from the front quarter, which allows viewing of my setup, hands, feet, etc. Also, while I'm primarily concerned about my back, I realize there may be other things that need adjusting, so feel free to comment on anything that stands out as a potential problem:

deadlift 2021-11-15 side - YouTube

deadlift 2021-11-15 front quarter - YouTube

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

-skypig

Yeah it doesn't look like you're getting the lower back set. You need to think of setting the back as a smooth, steady "squeeze" into position rather than a hard "snap". You're more likely to get the back flat and get all of the slack out of the system if you're more deliberate about it.
    Narrow your stance so feet are under the hips and narrow your grip.
    Lastly, you're thinking of this as a pull with the arms. You can see the biceps light up as you go to break it off the ground. This allows some "slack" in the system and may be why can't get the back tight and keep it that way. When you lift your chest to set the back your arms should get pulled taught and feel like they're going to tear out of your shoulders. They're tow ropes. The legs drive the bar off the ground. Lockout is also soft, but likely related to your arm issue and should improve when you sort that out.

Wow, thanks Pete for the detailed explanation! I didn't realize my stance was too wide - now that I think about it, I wonder if my too-wide stance is causing my arms to be looser than they should? Maybe my knees were pushing slightly into my arms/elbows, causing them to bend a bit and making it hard for me to "lock them tight" ? In any case, I will definitely try narrowing my stance, slowing down my back squeeze, and keeping my arms tight like tow ropes.

Thanks!

If you could take from :37 to :40 on super slow motion you would see where you are leaking power. Its right at :38 when you are making a deliberate brace, then at :39 you appear to slightly lower your hips, then your first 'up' movement is the lower back very slightly rounding. Kinda like you pulled the slack out of the bar, only to feed it to your hips. Gotta be as tall as possible before the actual pull.

Also with that snap, you are dropping your hips and the bar rolls ever so slightly away from your midfoot which makes it even harder to keep a strong lower back. Learn to set softly and without moving the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Woah, thanks Geronimo and Mundo for the tips - I think the hips dropping and slight forward bar roll are quite subtle, but they definitely need fixing. I never would've noticed those things if you guys hadn't spoken up. Thanks again!