starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would appreciate any advice for fixing my Squat. I've been working on getting the proper back angle for the past two months, but my Squat numbers are pathetic for my current bodyweight. Watching the video I think my knees are the problem, but I also want to be sure I'm getting everything else right. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1224.jpgIMG_1224.jpg

Video? I just see pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Video? I just see pics.
    sorry, i hope you can see this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still just pics. Upload the video to YouTube as unlisted and post the link in the thread.

Still just pics. Upload the video to YouTube as unlisted and post the link in the thread.
    IMG 12271 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by atcarr View Post
    Watching the video I think my knees are the problem . . .
    Not a coach, but your knees must break and get more forward. If you were using the TUBOW, as in the following video, there would be too much distance between your knee at the bottom and the TUBOW, which is where your knee should be at the bottom:

Using the TUBOW | Mark Rippetoe

Looks to me like the bar is too high, which is causing your knees to be too far back. They should be slightly in front of your toes. Also looks like maybe you’re rushing the descent?

Take your time to get the bar in the right spot and don't crank your elbows up so high. There's no way your upper back is in extension with your elbows that high. Check out the videos on YouTube that Nick D did on finding the right bar position, but make certain it's in the right place and secure before you haphazardly take it out of the rack. Lift your chest up and get the elbows down so your back is actually in extension.

Now, you only need to lean over as much it takes to keep your balance on midfoot for the way you're built. Not throw your chest at the ground and fold yourself in half. You're not letting the knees come forward at all and you're on your heels as you descend. Knees forward and out at the same time you send your ass back, and ride the midfoot line all the way down, then drive the hips on the way up.
    Once you've sorted out bar placement and a tight grip without cranked elbows, focus on balance through the warmups. Keep your eyes locked on a small target to help.
    Lastly, get some lifting shoes.
    Work on that stuff for now.

Take your time to get the bar in the right spot and don't crank your elbows up so high. There's no way your upper back is in extension with your elbows that high. Check out the videos on YouTube that Nick D did on finding the right bar position, but make certain it's in the right place and secure before you haphazardly take it out of the rack. Lift your chest up and get the elbows down so your back is actually in extension.

Now, you only need to lean over as much it takes to keep your balance on midfoot for the way you're built. Not throw your chest at the ground and fold yourself in half. You're not letting the knees come forward at all and you're on your heels as you descend. Knees forward and out at the same time you send your ass back, and ride the midfoot line all the way down, then drive the hips on the way up.
    Once you've sorted out bar placement and a tight grip without cranked elbows, focus on balance through the warmups. Keep your eyes locked on a small target to help.
    Lastly, get some lifting shoes.
    Work on that stuff for now.
    Thanks, this is great stuff. I'll work on this stuff moving forward - is it cool to post a follow up thread in a week or two?

starting strength coach development program
    Here is set 5 at 245 IMG 12732 - YouTube

The shoes help get into my knees. But I find it really hard to focus on two things as once - bar path and getting my knees out. Also, I lower the bar position on my back and upper back extension feels much better without the high elbows. But a lot of these problems return when I get fatigued.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast