starting strength gym

Thread: DL and Squat Form Check - Updated Setup

Default DL and Squat Form Check - Updated Setup

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I posted in the general forums about two weeks ago, got some good feedback, and now I am back for more.

Info:
    Male
    Height: 5' 9"
    Bodyweight: 150 -> 205 lb current

My current 5RM in lb are:
    • Squat 1x5: 350
    • Deadlift 1x5: 370
    • Bench 1x5: 235
    • OHP 1x5: 145

Deadlift Form Check - 5RM 370 lb

Squat Form Check - 5RM 350 lb

Squat:
    I forgot my hard-sole "lifting shoes" (I am a dumbass, I know), so I squatted without shoes that day. This set did feel weird after fixing my form issues, but the weight still moved. On the fourth rep, I almost lost balance. That usually does not happen. There were two main issues I am aware of with the squat.
    1. Bent Wrists: I am still working on this. In the video, I can see I still suck at this. I was able to keep them straight on the majority of warmup sets, but when I hit the heavy sets I revert back to bent wrists.
    2. Squat too high: Some things that I changed to hopefully fix this were to look down and not overextend my lower back during setup. I think I am hitting depth now, but wanted to check.

Deadlift:
    People were pointing out my hips were dropping and the bar was rolling forward. For whatever reason, I was adding a step into the deadlift setup of dropping my hips while I pick my chest up. I did the correct setup (hopefully), and the weight moved much easier. I did not see an issue with the set, but definitely welcome criticism.

Thanks All,
    PlumpChump

Hi Nathan,

DL
    The set up is the area to continue your focus.

Grip - the second half of the set your lockouts were better with your left hand pronated and right hand supinated, try this as your default for the whole set, and secure each lockout at the top.

Overall your hips are still ending up too low in the reps as you get tight against the bar, putting your weight back onto your heels (note your toes lifting)

However in rep 1 you did set up with the higher hips position and got yourself closer to mid foot balance as well.

Try this on your next workout:

In your warmups pull all the reps as singles, stepping back from the bar and resetting each time.

Get used to the start position it places your hips in and that in setting your back you’re going to squeeze UP and NOT allow any drifting backwards onto your heels.

Aim to get these two elements to carry over into your working weight set with the balance in the middle of your feet for all reps.