starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check - 2021-11-24 - LuckyLifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yes, what Mundo said. Drive your hips the whole way up

I can see why you have lower back pain. You are much too loose going into the bottom. You're very uncomfortable with the proper back angle and you want to bail out with your chest up as soon as possible.

Really focus on staying tighter than tight and do not relax going into the bottom. Reach back with your hips while staying tight and balanced mid-foot on the way down. Do NOT lift your chin on the way up. Drive hips straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLifting View Post
    Todays lift:

Squats 240 2021-11-29 (miscount) - YouTube

This is my last set.

Sorry about the angle and I didn’t realize I only did 4 until I got home to upload this (yes I’m an idiot)
    I think my squats look better today not letting my knees go to far forwards but I’m getting an insane lower back pump from these and it’s really uncomfortable will this go away as I get stronger?

Thanks

time to get a belt

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Yeh View Post
    I can see why you have lower back pain. You are much too loose going into the bottom. You're very uncomfortable with the proper back angle and you want to bail out with your chest up as soon as possible.

Really focus on staying tighter than tight and do not relax going into the bottom. Reach back with your hips while staying tight and balanced mid-foot on the way down. Do NOT lift your chin on the way up. Drive hips straight up.
    Hey I really appreciate all the feedback, Yea you are right I am uncomfortable with the Low bar style, everytime i feel like im about to fail I can feel myself bailing out into a high bar chest up stance and Its hard to break old habits.

When you say tight should I be simply bracing or exaggerating a lumbar flexion ( i think thats the proper term) basically sticking my butt out? My understanding from the book and videos on youtube is to maintain a flat back, but I have also heard rip say some people may need to exaggerate the setting of the back (specifically in the deadlift) is this the same for a squat?

On the belt front I have one on my christmas list, and In the meantime I have an old iron bull strength one somewhere at my mothers house I will be picking up for next session tomorrow.

Have you read the blue book, yet? It is described in detail there.

Your problem isn’t the position of the back per se. It’s the fact that the position isn’t being maintained and held rigid. Brace your abs hard like you’re about to get punched in the gut. Bear down like you’re about to go number 2.

This video might help.
    Fixing Your Squat Set Up - Stop Overextending Your Low Back - YouTube

Hey I really appreciate all the feedback, Yea you are right I am uncomfortable with the Low bar style, everytime i feel like im about to fail I can feel myself bailing out into a high bar chest up stance and Its hard to break old habits.

When you say tight should I be simply bracing or exaggerating a lumbar flexion ( i think thats the proper term) basically sticking my butt out? My understanding from the book and videos on youtube is to maintain a flat back, but I have also heard rip say some people may need to exaggerate the setting of the back (specifically in the deadlift) is this the same for a squat?

On the belt front I have one on my christmas list, and In the meantime I have an old iron bull strength one somewhere at my mothers house I will be picking up for next session tomorrow.

So today was 250…and that shit flew up.

The belt helped me stay tight the whole time from what I could tell my issue before was that I was losing my “air” and unable to maintain the core required to lift something heavier than 200lbs.

I’m happy with todays work, I need to learn to keep my damn head down though.

Let me know what u guys think.

Blue and grey books are ordered and on the at plus a shirt cause I love myself.

Squats 250 2021-12-01 - YouTube

Tighten the belt some more

Most likely you have noticed it by yourself but it looks you relaxed your upper back after the fourth rep. In result your elbows flared up on the ascent of the last rep and the whole rep was probably heavier than it had to be. Try to keep your upper back tight during a whole set.

So today was 250…and that shit flew up.

The belt helped me stay tight the whole time from what I could tell my issue before was that I was losing my “air” and unable to maintain the core required to lift something heavier than 200lbs.

I’m happy with todays work, I need to learn to keep my damn head down though.

Let me know what u guys think.

Blue and grey books are ordered and on the at plus a shirt cause I love myself.

Squats 250 2021-12-01 - YouTube
    I'm not a coach man, but if you can swing it, look into getting a coach. JD Shipley (Houston) is a great guy to work with . 1st thing I see is butt wink, but like I said, I'm no coach.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast