starting strength gym

Thread: Question about the deadlift

Default Question about the deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I have been implementing the set up advocated by rip and any coach that has any idea what they’re doing.

The 5 step set up.

Here is my question/issue. I was taught (incorrectly) by a football coach years ago to sink my butt before I perform the deadlift, this has always how I have “felt” the deadlift. Almost exclusively in my hamstrings and glutes with little lower back strain.

Now attempting the proper set up keeping my butt higher has resulted in me not feeling the deadlift in my glutes or hamstrings at all, in fact today my back feels a little strained.

I’ve been using the ques of pushing out the chest and driving my belly down. I just can’t seem to get my glutes and hamstring involved while my ass is so high up. Is it normal for the deadlift to feel so lower back based?

I don’t have a video right now, but tomorrow I will get one and post it on this thread.

I was hoping to open up the discussion a little about the generalities of the lift before focusing on my specific case.

Thanks in advance.

We are loading human movement in the most mechanically efficient manner. This may not always result in you feeling things where you think you should. Just ignore that aspect. Many people experience little to no soreness when lifting. Post a video and we'll take a look

Please see my video of todays deadlift. 290

My back is still killing me, I’m not sure if it’s from squats or DL.

I also realize after filming you can’t see my feet…this is an oversight by me. Next time I get in the gym I’ll
    Make sure my feet are visible.

My person thoughts are I just can’t get my lower back to engage the way I want it too with my hips so high…but I’m not a coach or the one with the knowledge please let me know what you think.

Deadlift 290lbs 2021-11-26 - YouTube

Not a great angle, but looks like you just need to focus more on the squeeze part. Squeeze your chest up harder at the bottom and arch your low back. And get the set done quicker. I don't know why your back hurts but if I had to guess I would say you are descending too quickly in the Squat and not staying tight enough

Hey guys so today I used a belt and it felt way better.

I would like if it you could look at my lifts today, my first 2 felt great but I think it’s cause I went into my old habit of sinking my hips. It made the pull wayyy easier but rip wants those hips higher, which I attempted to fix on the last three but it felt like a grind pulling from that back angle.

Let me know how these look. Thanks, Lucky

Deadlift 310 2021-12-01 - YouTube

There are a few things that need to be fixed here.

The reason it is called a deadlift is because it starts from a dead stop not a bounce off the ground. Let the bar "die" on the ground and start it from a motionless start.

It seems that you are not dragging the bar against your shins at all. The bar needs to stay in contact with your shins the entire time. On the first one there is A LOT of bar movement that is unnecessary. Once you get the bar over your midfoot, the bar CANNOT and should not move what so ever forwards or backwards.

Your back seems to not be set as hard as it should be. Set your lower back even harder and then pull. Pull the slack out of the bar as well when you set your upper back.

Finally, that set of 5 was more of a triple with two singles because you let go of the bar. As tempting as it is, fight the urge to let go of the bar and stay on the bar.

Hope this helped

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLifting View Post
    Here is my question/issue. I was taught (incorrectly) by a football coach years ago to sink my butt before I perform the deadlift, this has always how I have “felt” the deadlift. Almost exclusively in my hamstrings and glutes with little lower back strain.

Now attempting the proper set up keeping my butt higher has resulted in me not feeling the deadlift in my glutes or hamstrings at all, in fact today my back feels a little strained.

I’ve been using the ques of pushing out the chest and driving my belly down. I just can’t seem to get my glutes and hamstring involved while my ass is so high up. Is it normal for the deadlift to feel so lower back based?
    Everything should be tight, including the hamstrings and glutes. They initially act to maintain the back angle (as you push the floor away), then they change the back angle as you finish the pull (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 131). This isn't going to happen if you don't get them tight in the set-up for the lift. Keep your hips properly positioned and tighten the hamstrings and glutes--you may not be used to doing it, but you can.

Keep at it. 310 looked light for you. Make sure you're improving your form at the same time as you're increasing the weight. Should have at least 335 by year-end.
    Last edited by J. Killmond; 12-07-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo

starting strength coach development program
    And give this article a read: [URL=https://startingstrength.com/article/the_belt_and_the_deadlift]The Belt and the Deadlift[\url]
    If finances allow, you might want to look into a new belt.