starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After my last form check I was told to narrow my stance and hold the bar by Ryan Arnold, definitely improved what I was doing and got me unstuck.

Both sets are at 130kg, different angles for comparison which might help.

To film from the best angle I've got to jury rig a mount for my phone off a door and hope that it doesn't move, unfortunately it did slightly but hopefully it's still useful.

2nd set
    2nd set

3rd set
    3rd

I'm feeling like I'm moving into upper thoracic flexion on the way up towards last reps, I assume that's because my elbows are coming up?

I'm also finding that when I'm squeezing, I can't help myself pulling the bar down onto my shoulders and while it's not physically affecting the weight of the squat, it's adding weight to the bar on my shoulders which is very distracting and causing me to have to focus on consciously not pulling down. Is there a cue to avoid doing this?

Thanks.

you need to stay leaned over as you come out of the bottom, but an important fix for you may be to squat facing out from the wall. you have no designated position for your eyes to look at because you are so close to the wall. so face out toward the room, this may help with the leading with the chest and may address some of concerns you have regarding the bar on your back throughout the set. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Herman View Post
    you need to stay leaned over as you come out of the bottom, but an important fix for you may be to squat facing out from the wall. you have no designated position for your eyes to look at because you are so close to the wall. so face out toward the room, this may help with the leading with the chest and may address some of concerns you have regarding the bar on your back throughout the set. hope this helps.
    Hard to see from the video but I do have marks on the wall to focus my gaze on.

You need to get your knees out earlier and bend over more. Right now, you're starting the descent by shoving your butt back. You need to bend your hips and knees at the same time.

Then, on the way up, drive your butt up.

"I'm feeling like I'm moving into upper thoracic flexion on the way up towards last reps, I assume that's because my elbows are coming up?

I'm also finding that when I'm squeezing, I can't help myself pulling the bar down onto my shoulders and while it's not physically affecting the weight of the squat, it's adding weight to the bar on my shoulders which is very distracting and causing me to have to focus on consciously not pulling down. Is there a cue to avoid doing this?"

All of this is because your grip is too wide. Get it at least 2 inches narrower.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com