starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press elbow pain

Default Bench press elbow pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I have a pain on the left elbow, i suppose it is the distal end of triceps. Strangely i do not have this problem on my right side. Does anyone have some idea why?

My brenchpress with 67.5kg:
    Bench press - YouTube

Many thanks in advance!

It is because of a wrong grip on the squat. Post a squat video.

A few people experience pain in the left elbow when doing bench presses, and I think it has to do with what's known as the "flexion-pronation pressure" on the distal end of your ulna bone. By not releasing fully through your grip, you create a significant amount of flexion and pronation force that is focused into this small space at your elbow joint. Only by using lighter weights and using a full pusher movement should this issue be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Welp, you beat me to it.

You also do not need to move the bar that slow as when it gets heavy that will not be possible. 6 seconds on the eccentric portion is extremely long.

Second this. You’re in for a lot of pain if you don’t straighten things out quickly. Happened to me this past April-August. Good news is your problem, if the squat is indeed the source, is solvable and preventable.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacRob View Post
    A few people experience pain in the left elbow when doing bench presses, and I think it has to do with what's known as the "flexion-pronation pressure" on the distal end of your ulna bone. By not releasing fully through your grip, you create a significant amount of flexion and pronation force that is focused into this small space at your elbow joint. Only by using lighter weights and using a full pusher movement should this issue be resolved.
    But only on the left. Got it.

Squat - YouTube

This is my squat, but unfortunately i cannot do low bar, because it took me every time insanely long(more than 1.hour) to stretch my left shoulder to get ready for low bar, and thus make it unpractical for me to do it, since i normally only have 1 hour for gym each time..

You mean push the bar until arms are fully extended/strectched?

I had another issue about this, because i feel on the highest point, the bar puts more weights on my inner sides of wrists, and it feels uncomfortable, so sometimes i do not even like to push fully..

Quote Originally Posted by oface View Post
    Second this. You’re in for a lot of pain if you don’t straighten things out quickly. Happened to me this past April-August. Good news is your problem, if the squat is indeed the source, is solvable and preventable.
    Thanks for the info!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacRob View Post
    I am confused with the reply system, and i think i replied to someone else, but orignally should been replied to you..

I guess you mean to push the arms to the full lockout position? But somehow i think there is huge problem about the lockout position, because at that point our forearms are not vertical to the bar anymore, so the torque to inner side of the wrist is higher than outside, puls there is a horizontal force applied to wrist. I think that is why i always feel uncomfortable with this lockout position.

In order to fix this issue i used to take a narrower grip, but that leads to more triceps involved and hence my elbow pain.

So i am kind of stuck in this place..