starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I Squatting to Deep?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    May I ask, why are you thrusting your hips forward before descending every time?
    Hey Francesco, initially I was having a hard time getting the correct back angle, I tended to be too vertical. I managed to fix it by remembering to push the hips back hard on the way down. Sometimes I end up pushing them slightly forward at the top in anticipation of the backwards movement. Kind of like throwing them backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Haider View Post
    Hey Francesco, initially I was having a hard time getting the correct back angle, I tended to be too vertical. I managed to fix it by remembering to push the hips back hard on the way down. Sometimes I end up pushing them slightly forward at the top in anticipation of the backwards movement. Kind of like throwing them backwards.
    I would suggest getting rid of that. Wiggling your spine under a heavy load is not good.
    Low Back Positions - Flexion, Extension, and Overextension with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube
    Fixing Your Squat Set Up - Stop Overextending Your Low Back - YouTube

These might help.
    You want to do your valsalva, tighten everything up, and then start the movement. No need to "throw" anything.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Yeh View Post
    Too deep and you're loose in the bottom. Cut it off higher. Back angle too vertical - lean over more in the top half of the descent and send the knees forward early and freeze them as you approach the bottom.
    Thanks a lot for your feedback Peter. My intention was to upload a video today attempting the changes you suggested but unfortunately half way through my warm up the pain in my left abductor, which has been nagging me for a while now, really caught up with me. I think I've pulled it.

It's not a debilitating pain but it is uncomfortable when I Squat now. Squatting and raising the knee seem to trigger it. Is there anything you see in the video that might have caused it? I suspect it's poor knee positioning during the decent. If you have any suggestions on how to deal with the injury those will be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks to Francesco too for the feedback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12