starting strength gym

Thread: First time squat form check: Is this scoliosis?

Default First time squat form check: Is this scoliosis?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, SS team - first of all, thank you. I am one of your disciples (44 years old, 5'10, 185 lbs) and your guidance has helped me get stronger. I followed NLP for 5 months and got my squat to 225, bench to 185, and press to 105. I want to keep progressing and increase my squat to 315 as an intermediate goal. However, the attached video will show a significant sideways lean, which I am concerned about and don't know how to correct.

Squat Dec 1, 205lbs - YouTube

I took the video from this angle to show the sideways lean. Would really appreciate your guidance.

You have an uncompensated curve in your back, made more apparently by a short right leg. Do you have someone who can look at this? A SSC nearby?

I've got to say, amittal, for a first-time post and first technique post, from this angle that has to be one of the better squat worksets posted in this forum.

I had completely expected to see Rip giving his standard replies, but they weren't here.

Granted, we're missing everything that's going on up front, but that will happen in due time. Good luck getting this worked out.

Thank you Rip and Bill. I have reached out to a SSC (Liz in Leesburg, VA) and will hopefully get this fixed in person. Sounds like this is leg length discrepancy and shimming my right lifting shoe will help.

I appreciate your time and guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    I've got to say, amittal, for a first-time post and first technique post, from this angle that has to be one of the better squat worksets posted in this forum.

I had completely expected to see Rip giving his standard replies, but they weren't here.

Granted, we're missing everything that's going on up front, but that will happen in due time. Good luck getting this worked out.