starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DL form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Do you think if he loosened his belt a notch like he said, and focused on taking in bigger air and bracing into the belt that it would help?
    I think loosening the belt will help.

I don't think taking a bigger breath will help.

I don't know what "bracing into the belt" means. Can you explain what that means?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post

I don't know what "bracing into the belt" means. Can you explain what that means?
    Yeah, that wasn't very clear. People around here like to use the word valsalva but I'm a simple guy, haha. The OP said he didn't feel solid after the first rep and it didn't appear (to me) that he was making sure his brace was solid before performing those reps he was talking about. A slightly looser belt, as you recommend, gives the lifter something to push his abs against and gives tactile feedback that he is holding his brace or performing the valsalva maneuver and keeping that tightness. This is why you don't wear a belt as tight as you can get it. You wear it slightly loose and expand into it by taking a breath and tightening the abs.

You're gonna have to work with me a little on this. I know what I mean but sometimes I have a hard time explaining what I mean. I hope this answer makes some kind of sense.

122.5Kg*5 - YouTube

Loosening the belt felt better , the back was tight throughout the set (looking at a single spot que worked) except the last one .

Why ? : when the weight left the ground the i felt like regurgitating and the air inside my tum tum went out instantly to prevent that from happening

Why is this dude using 2 clips ? : The gym folks said that the small discs were 1.25kg each but turns out that shit was 1.1Kg each so i added clips and it approximated to 2.5Kg total on the weight scale.

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    The OP said he didn't feel solid after the first rep and it didn't appear (to me) that he was making sure his brace was solid before performing those reps he was talking about. A slightly looser belt, as you recommend, gives the lifter something to push his abs against and gives tactile feedback that he is holding his brace or performing the valsalva maneuver and keeping that tightness. This is why you don't wear a belt as tight as you can get it. You wear it slightly loose and expand into it by taking a breath and tightening the abs.
    The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Good article Mark. Very informative.

If I may try to throw out some ideas.
    Aren't his hips a little too high? Causing his low back to round at the start of the pull?
    It looks to me that being a long legged guy, he could narrow the stance by bringing the heels in, and pointing the toes out more. This would allow him a better starting position with slightly lower hips, and to better engage the hip and abductor muscles.
    Also, he's using a belt and wraps with 120kg, so I'd say he needs to go down in weight until he can use proper form and a regular grip with no wraps. Or just eat a lot more.

Just trying to check if my corrections would make sense for a SSC.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    If I may try to throw out some ideas.
    Aren't his hips a little too high? Causing his low back to round at the start of the pull?
    It looks to me that being a long legged guy, he could narrow the stance by bringing the heels in, and pointing the toes out more. This would allow him a better starting position with slightly lower hips, and to better engage the hip and abductor muscles.
    Also, he's using a belt and wraps with 120kg, so I'd say he needs to go down in weight until he can use proper form and a regular grip with no wraps. Or just eat a lot more.

Just trying to check if my corrections would make sense for a SSC.
    Which video are you referring to?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Which video are you referring to?
    Last one

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Last one
    I don't think so, but I could be wrong. When he finally picks his chest up, his hips appear to be in the correct location.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think so, but I could be wrong. When he finally picks his chest up, his hips appear to be in the correct location.
    You don't think the low back is rounding? Mabye it's just the angle of the video
    Also, what about the stance, it looks a little bit too wide with feet pointing straight forward

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast