starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat and Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've read the article several times. Here is the pertinent quote:

"Low-bar squats done by a novice with light weights, a masters lifter with light weights, or any male lifter of average size using loads significantly lighter than about 225 will not behave as a heavy work set described in the book – the bar will be a lot to a little forward of the mid-foot because the barbell is not yet significantly heavier than the mass of the body, and we want to warm up the terminal balance position, just like the muscles, joints, and bones."

When I warm up (45/95/135/185) I don't care about mid-foot. I start thinking 'master cue' at 225, 245 ect. But I was wrong.

I take this to mean that I should ditch the master cue as my work set (290 tomorrow) and focus on bending over at all costs.

When you are warming up, you should for sure care about mid foot. If you are caring about the bar path, you will be unbalanced by not being on your midfoot. Focus on being midfoot and when its time to introduce the master cue introduce it.

What do you mean by "being on the mid-foot"?

If that was for me Mark, I mean by having his COM be on the midfoot, not the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by atcarr View Post
    I take this to mean that I should ditch the master cue as my work set (290 tomorrow) and focus on bending over at all costs.
    You need to bend over, but not by using your upper back, you need to reach back with your ass.

Here is 290, third set - is my back angle low enough or do I need to go lower? Also, the bar rolled up my traps on rep 5 of all three sets.

Squat 290 12.30.2021 - YouTube

Look at your knee at the bottom. What do you see?

starting strength coach development program
    My knees are sliding forward (as discussed in the blue book pgs 52-56).

Should I squat on my heels a few reps ( the recommendation on pg 53) to keep my knees in the correct position? Or is it more of a ‘knee sliding’ problem involving relaxation of the quads and/or hams, addressed through the the fix on pgs 55-56? I’m thinking the later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12