starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and Power Clean Form Check

Default Squat and Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I posted about month ago when I realized I wasn't bending my knees at all in the squat, among many other problems. I was struggling with 230x5x3.

Now I have to really concentrate on 'knees first' to get my knees to get where they need to be. I also use the master cue to keep the bar path close to straight. If I think about 'bending over' or 'nipples to the floor' my knees stay back and the bar path drifts forward on the way down.

I also had to adjust my bar position and bought some shoes - so there's a lot going on. How am I doing?

Here is 270x5, third set today.

Squat 12/20/2021 270x5x3 - YouTube

Also, here is 170x3 on the fifth set of power cleans. I'm having a hard time staying in contact with my legs above my knees up to the jump position at work-set weights.

Power Clean 12/20/2021 170x3x5 - YouTube

I'll just comment on the power cleans. I see an arm pull. The arms are bent before you even reach the jump position. And speaking of, there's no jump, you're just standing up on your toes.

Pretty sure the jump is just a teaching tool, and your feet are not expected to actually leave the ground under ( relatively) heavy work weights. I see a bit of arm pull too.

In the Squat you need to look down, lean over more, slow down the descent(remaining tight), and cut 2 inches off the depth

PC - Jump with long, straight arms(there is an arm pull here). Thinking about posing your triceps may help. Try to make your feet leave the ground. Get your elbows up faster at the top

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Pretty sure the jump is just a teaching tool, and your feet are not expected to actually leave the ground under ( relatively) heavy work weights. I see a bit of arm pull too.
    Login • Instagram

World record c+j. Watch the feet closely.

The jump is a teaching tool. The feet have to break contact with the ground to move from pulling stance to catching stance, but "jumping" is not what makes this happen.

Re the squat - really having trouble leaning over more while maintaining an efficient bar path. I get why I want to do it, but whenever I try to lean over (or nipples to the floor, or bend over, or reach by butt back to the wall, or get into my hips) this is what happens:

Squat warm-up (245), lean over 12.27.2021 - YouTube

thinking master cue gets me a straight, balanced bar path (usually) but a vertical back angle. Focusing on back angle gets me a moment arm that makes the lift noticeably harder.

Here is my last work set trying to look, slow the descent, and cutting 2 inches off depth. It feels like I'm not breaking parallel.

Squat warm-up (245), lean over 12.27.2021 - YouTube

Is my 245 warm up weight (my body weight is 194) to light see a bar path over midfoot? In other words is my 245 rep acceptable?

starting strength coach development program
    I wrote it for you. I'm not going to read it for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast