starting strength gym

Thread: Finally, a 200 lb press

Default Finally, a 200 lb press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It took 3 years, gaining weight from 165 to 215 lbs.
    My first miss: Nov 26:
    missed 200 lb press - YouTube

I felt lightheaded and just needed another second to grind, but I feared for passing out.

I was hitting 180 lbs for doubles, and thought I should be able to hit this lift
    180 lb warm up: warm up 180 lb press - YouTube

A few weeks later I tried again, and missed:

I took a six minute rest and watched the video, noticed that i was under the bar for about 7 seconds. As I was getting lightheaded again, I realized i needed to just be a little quicker after unracking the bar so I wouldn't get lightheaded so much. Also brought my grip in slightly, and cued myself to look at the sticker i had put on the mirror as a focus point.
    and got it!
    200 lb press; new PR! - YouTube

Much thanks for the video by emily and diego; i watched this about a month ago to fine tune my form: Common Press Mistakes and How to Fix Them with Diego and Emily Socolinsky - YouTube
    Honestly, i probably need just a bit more work on keeping my knees stiff and bending at the waist more.

Nice job! I didn't watch the video. For some odd reason my phone shuts down when I watch videos linked from this site but a 200 pound press is fantastic!

Congrats on hitting the PR of 200 lbs, but its in a push press not a strict press. You can see your knees bend and your belt buckle go down then up. Focus on locking that whole part out and keeping more tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by airforcerob View Post
    It took 3 years, gaining weight from 165 to 215 lbs.
    My first miss: Nov 26:

I felt lightheaded and just needed another second to grind, but I feared for passing out.

I was hitting 180 lbs for doubles, and thought I should be able to hit this lift
    180 lb warm up: warm up 180 lb press - YouTube

A few weeks later I tried again, and missed:

I took a six minute rest and watched the video, noticed that i was under the bar for about 7 seconds. As I was getting lightheaded again, I realized i needed to just be a little quicker after unracking the bar so I wouldn't get lightheaded so much. Also brought my grip in slightly, and cued myself to look at the sticker i had put on the mirror as a focus point.
    and got it!
    200 lb press; new PR! - YouTube

Much thanks for the video by emily and diego; i watched this about a month ago to fine tune my form: Common Press Mistakes and How to Fix Them with Diego and Emily Socolinsky - YouTube
    Honestly, i probably need just a bit more work on keeping my knees stiff and bending at the waist more.
    Congrats, man! I am about 5 pounds away from that goal myself. I've been trying to deal with the lightheadedness as well. I'm determined to get there if it kills me. Good job!

Very nice!

Notice you have the Lil Monster. I have same problem getting light headed and have blanked out twice dropping the bar. I do them inside the rack for this reason with the safeties set up just under the jcups.

Again, nice work!

Default thanks all!

starting strength coach development program
    Never considered doing it inside the bar with safeties; good idea. thanks for the feedback about the form. working on stiffer knees. Appreciate all the comments!
    rob