starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check...round 3

Default Deadlift form check...round 3

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deadlift form check 1/3/22 - YouTube

Pulling 285 for 5, first time pulling in squat shoes.

First form check
    Second form check

I had also gotten my form looked at by an SSC in September, she was happy with my form. Informed me I have some slight kyphosis.

Been on an NLP for 5ish months (have had quite a few interruptions unfortunately) 6'4, 225 lbs. Other lifts: squatting 285 for 3x5, benching 185 for 3x5, pressing 137.5 for 5x3.

Everything has been going fine with my deadlift until I starting hitching at 305. I attributed this to missing macros/calorie goals, and tried for 310 my next heavy DL session. Hitched again, so did some research and found that hitching is indicative of a form error, not just a sign that the set is hard. So, today I lowered the weight and tried to fix the problem buy keeping my shoulders over the bar for longer/opening up my hips later.

It looks like I am moving up and back a bit at the beginning of the pull, and the bar moves slightly out in front of me as well. I've heard Rip say that the bar will always move into position over the midfoot at the beginning of the pull when it's sufficiently heavy, so I'm curious as what's going on is a product of me not setting up completely correctly or of a form error when I start the pull?

This is my 3rd deadlift form check. I've had the most difficulty getting my form down for the DL more than any other lift for some odd reason. I appreciate any help and explanations for what's going on, I am trying to become as self-sufficient a lifter as possible.

P.S. Since I know someone will comment on the small change in DL weight over time based off of my form check videos and claim YNDTP, I will note that I have been overcautious about getting my form down for the DL and have done a couple resets (looking back on things I dropped the weight back way too much), as I have a couple friends who have herniated discs deadlifting. In my mind it is better to spend a little extra time now making sure I have proper form to avoid serious injury (not a back tweak, which I know are inevitable) than to screw up a disc pulling incorrectly and have to take a lot of time off training.
    Last edited by geoffgaugler; 01-04-2022 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Formatting

Please link your other form check threads, or at least the most recent one.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

the bar moves slightly out in front of me as well.
    I have been struggling with this problem too and have found the following ressources very helpful:

Steve Ross' Lats in the Deadlift article

Your Lats in the Deadlift with Brent Carter (and Bre!) video

Deadlift: How to Keep the Bar on Your Legs (ARMPITS!) video

This is quite clearly a start position problem. Get back off of your toes and raise your hips a little to tighten your hamstrings and get the bar back over the mid-foot. Every rep.

Edited to include links.

The weird thing is that I have never had an issue with this/had to use my lats nearly as much as I did during this set.

Thanks Rip!