starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check, bar over mid foot mystery

Default Squat form check, bar over mid foot mystery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I am trying to figure out mystery of life here. All I want to do is keep the bar over mid foot. I posted a video recently and Rip said I am not bending enough. My back was too vertical. So I am trying to bend more now but when I do I see the bar is over toes instead of mid foot. Can this problem be solved?
    Here is my latest squat video. I took a week off for holidays and I think I did too good of a job celebrating and that did not benefit me much. This was my light day weight just 10 days ago. But I am bending more now and that is probably why such lousy performance.
    I used to bend more when I started lifting and in the interest of keeping the bar over mid foot started using more vertical back angle. Need help to get to the bottom of it.
    squat the bar is in front - YouTube

I include some pictures here me trying to get the bar over mid foot by keeping my knees back and my hips as far back as possible , just for good measure picture of deadlift set up who knows if it shows I have short or tall torso or whatever.
    Keeping shins completely vertical is not the way to go at all of course. Am I bending too much now? How do normal people achieve it?

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 10.34.27 PM.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47753.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47752.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4774c.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4774b.jpg

How much weight is on the bar, and how much do you weigh?

Yeah. Wouldn't it be cool if I could get people to actually read what I wrote about this?

Understanding the Master Cue | Mark Rippetoe

So I guess not enough. I just don't see how same back angle can show the bar over mid foot no matter the weight but I do want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah. Wouldn't it be cool if I could get people to actually read what I wrote about this?

Understanding the Master Cue | Mark Rippetoe
    Mark, read it. so what I got out of it is that the bar is not heavy enough to travel over midfoot and back angle should still be horizontal and I should just not overthink it and continue bending. In one of your drawings above there was a guy with long spine and he should have had a more vertical back. I have no idea if my spine is too long or not. I'll just continue bending. thanks for pointing me to the article.