starting strength gym

Thread: Struggling with Deadlift Form

Default Struggling with Deadlift Form

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm currently in a bit of a struggle with my deadlift form at the moment. It seems almost as if I can't get my back and chest into the position I want to pull the bar off of the floor when I pull heavy. My back is extremely rounded when my legs are stiff as I'm setting up my shins to be 1" from the bar. From there, it's extremely difficult to pull my chest up and not drop my hips; as I'm pulling the bar off the floor I don't feel like I'm getting much lat engagement even though I'm trying to cue my shoulders to go into my back pockets.

I've always had problems with my flexibility and mobility even as a child; when bending over to touch my toes, the farthest I can get my finger tips is about halfway down my shins.
    My height is 6'1, and I weigh 230lbs without having a massive gut in the way. I'm not sure if my body's proportions are out of whack or if I'm just awkwardly built.

Should I do rack pulls instead that allow me to get into a more suitable position for a proper pull movement? Or is it possible that I can do some mobility/flexibility stretches to increase my ability to get in the correct position for the deadlift?

Current numbers at sets of five are: squat-270, ohp-115, bench-195, deadlift-295. I've been running the program since Dec. 17, 2021. Starting numbers at sets of five were: S-205, ohp-85, bench-155, deadlift-225.

I can also provide a form check if that would help.

Thanks, and sorry if this was posted in the wrong category.

Video?

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I'm also using one of the shitty Velcro belts that my gym provides; I have a 4" Rogue Ohio leather belt getting shipped to me in a few days that I plan to use for squatting and pressing. A 3" belt is more ideal for deadlifting though isn't it?

You don't need a belt; you need to put shoes on and perform the five step deadlift procedure, to the letter.

Separate steps 2 and 3: 1. Shins 1" from the bar - 2. Grip the bar - 3. Shins to the bar. You are bringing shins to the bar while gripping the bar

Your upper back is getting set but not your lower back. Think of pointing your butthole to the wall behind you while not letting your hips drop. Video your warm ups and make sure that your seeing wrinkles in the bottom of your shirt

look at something 10-15 feet in front of you on the floor during the entire rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    You don't need a belt; you need to put shoes on and perform the five step deadlift procedure, to the letter.
    I almost feel as if it gets in the way of my belly and getting set correctly, you may be correct on that. As for the shoes, I'm now starting to use flat soled vans instead of my squat shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Geerts View Post
    Separate steps 2 and 3: 1. Shins 1" from the bar - 2. Grip the bar - 3. Shins to the bar. You are bringing shins to the bar while gripping the bar

Your upper back is getting set but not your lower back. Think of pointing your butthole to the wall behind you while not letting your hips drop. Video your warm ups and make sure that your seeing wrinkles in the bottom of your shirt

look at something 10-15 feet in front of you on the floor during the entire rep.
    Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep those cues in mind tonight when I'm deadlifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Try the 3" belt when in comes in and consider taking a slightly wider stance and grip if you feel your belly needs more room to get set (we can't really assess that from this side view).