starting strength gym

Thread: Left Elbow pain after squats. "T-Rexitius"

Default Left Elbow pain after squats. "T-Rexitius"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    42yo 225lb 5'10 "T-Rexitius"

I am pushing hard and am seeing crazy numbers!
    But am having problems with extreme inside left elbow pain from squats. (I am left handed)
    As my squat weight has been increasing, interior elbow pain has been getting worse and worse.
    After 2x squat sets I cant lift up my iphone or continue with next exercises for a few hours.

My thoughts are bar might be too low or I may have shoulder flexibility problems? I find the lower I put the bar, the more weight i can lift.
    I am a newbie and in the Linear Progression and will be adding power cleans soon.

My deadlift also stopped due to not being able to hold bar. (I have ordered chalk, and might get a belt soon)

Should I slow down on squats and focus on arms to be more "balanced"?

I will post some videos tonight of when my elbow recovers a bit.

Start Dec 5th Current Dec 23
    SQ 225 275 (more room for gainz!)
    DL 245 265 (stuck from mini hands and shit grip, chalk on order)
    BP 125 145 (slow and steady)
    OH 80 90 (slow and steady)
    Weight 220 225

Thank you for your feedback!

I took an hour break, adjusted squat to a slightly higher position and finished set. the slightly higher position helped. Here is final squat rep, DL and Press.
    Any advice on technique, better video angle or anything else is greatly appreciated.

It is fair to say that I really dont know what I am doing quite yet haha.

Squat
    Deadlift
    Oh Press

Edit: got er fixed!
    Last edited by Ryan ODonnell; 12-23-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat | Nick Delgadillo

This is what you're looking for.

Careful not to prop the bar up too high when bringing in the grip. I started doing that and it took way too long for my coach and I to get it sorted out later.

I had to deload my squat down and work some breaks in to let this thing start healing. I'm currently working on getting some tendinitis healed up in my inner forearms. I suspect that if we viewed a video of your squat, you would. have your elbows cranking up towards the sky either during the descent or throughout the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan ODonnell View Post
    I took an hour break, adjusted squat to a slightly higher position and finished set. the slightly higher position helped. Here is final squat rep, DL and Press.
    Any advice on technique, better video angle or anything else is greatly appreciated.

It is fair to say that I really dont know what I am doing quite yet haha.

I'd have to agree.

Sorry bout that, im a video imbecile.

Maybe reach out to a coach, virtual if you can’t find one within driving distance.

I was getting elbow pain pretty good, a coaching session really helped, and fixed other things I didn’t realize were wrong. Money well spent in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat | Nick Delgadillo

This is what you're looking for.

Careful not to prop the bar up too high when bringing in the grip. I started doing that and it took way too long for my coach and I to get it sorted out later.

I had to deload my squat down and work some breaks in to let this thing start healing. I'm currently working on getting some tendinitis healed up in my inner forearms. I suspect that if we viewed a video of your squat, you would. have your elbows cranking up towards the sky either during the descent or throughout the lift.
    Thanks for this! My arms are so wide I was worried about them getting crushed when racking the bar. I will examine this article in detail until i get it right. Thanks again!

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, your advice was spot on!
    I backed off my weight on squat to 255 to get used to new hand position.
    I have scaled back up to 280, 5lbs a workout and absolutely no elbow pain.
    This new hand position has also really helped me understand the low bar position.
    By driving into the bar before the lift and lifting elbows, i can really tell when i am in the low bar position or not, something i had problems understanding before..
    Also if i try to go too narrow on hand position, i find my left/right balance is off.