starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Any advice on how I can improve my deadlift form?

303lb Deadlift. Mixed grip with chalk. During the lift I experienced slight pain in lower left back around iliac crest/internal oblique region. Nothing major (discomfort may be a more apt description) but would desribe as a dull pressure type pain rather than shooting pain.

Thank you.

Set your lower back harder before pushing the floor away. Also adding a few pounds of bodyweight will help.

Get a belt and lifting shoes. Your back is not staying set, need to set that harder without dropping your hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Conroy View Post
    Get a belt and lifting shoes. Your back is not staying set, need to set that harder without dropping your hips.
    Thank you both.

Check on the weight gain (in progress) and lifitng shoes (arriving tomorrow).

Noted on the belt. I will look into getting one.

As for setting without dropping hips this is something physically impossible for me at present (unless I am setting up incorrectly). If you look at the video at around 11 secs, this is my starting position just as my shins touch the bar and before I drop hips. From this position there is no way I can set my lower back correctly. Perhaps a flexibiliy issue but very unsure how to correct this.

I should note that even in the dropped hips position I am still trying very very hard to set my lower back and keep it set (big breath, lats in back pcoket, chest up, abs engaged) but still cannot manage to keep it set. Perhaps I am not trying to set it as hard as I think I am. I will try again this week.

You gotta keep your lumbar extension off of the ground. You're setting it up fine, but not holding it. Find a weight where you can and go from there. Rocking back a bit onto your heels will help too.

Your toes are probably not at the right angle. Get your heels in a quarter inch.

As someone else said, definitely get some proper lifting shoes.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Recorded another attempt today.

- Added lifting shoes
    - toes pointed out around 30/45 degrees
    - After shins touch the bar focus on engaging lats first, then driving by belly between my legs to engage lower back
    -Lifted with a focus of getting weight back on my heels
    -Dropped weight down to 265lbs

I think it looks better but could just be the lower weight.

Does the form look ok to start adding weight each week? Sorry for bad camera work but think it's sufficient to see my form.

Looks much better to me.

starting strength coach development program
    This is better. Adding a belt would help. Make sure you squeeze the bar off the ground - don't jerk it off the ground.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com