starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DL form check

Default DL form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2 different sessions, 2 different angles. Probably snapping my shit up, fuck if I know. Last rep on 270 was kinda spooky, felt like I was doing some weird shit with my arms at the top, so I bailed early.

265lbs

270lbs

Okay, I'll try harder to get it right when I go in tomorrow. I'm not sure what's so confusing about it. I think I have no issues extending my lower back in a vacuum, but when I'm bent over, I might be mistaking some other sensory feedback for lower back extension.

I'll drop the weight and post another video tomorrow.

I am not sure if this makes too much of a difference, but does your gym have any other plates than the fitness gear ones? I had a pair of those and they are about an inch to an inch and a half smaller than a normal plate and learning to set your back with proper plates will work better than plates that are lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Mundo View Post
    I am not sure if this makes too much of a difference, but does your gym have any other plates than the fitness gear ones? I had a pair of those and they are about an inch to an inch and a half smaller than a normal plate and learning to set your back with proper plates will work better than plates that are lower.
    Yeah, there's one other set of plates(I think only one), I think it's larger. It's probably a game of hide and seek to find them. Is it now my mission to only use those plates to perform deadlifts? That sucks. I've been going at it with these for about 3 months. Fuck, people are probably hesitating to tell me about that, and I'm probably a running joke to some of these guys.

Still pulled yesterday and mashed my warm up sets together if it doesn't make things here completely irrelevant. Video below with time stamps on youtube. I tried to do 2 sets of 3 so that I could verify a strict back angle between sets. I don't think I deloaded enough weight because of my ego, probably should have stayed between 225 and 245 for a set of 5.

So, next session, 225 x 5, but with the properly sized 45s on the bar... Damn, I have been wasting valuable time. I'm a pretty short guy at 5'7 though so maybe it levels it out. Probably not.

Please don't submit 4.5min videos. Just one top set of 5. And yes if you are failing reps you did not deload enough. These do look better though. Keep at it. Squeeze the chest up hard, arch your low back. Think about pushing your belly between your knees

Understood, one top set of 5. I was focused on belly between thighs. I'll focus on squeezing the chest up hard as well now.

1 minute vid. Bigger plates. I feel better about these.

DL 245 - YouTube

The last one is much better, but you need to fight the urge to drop your hips when you set your back. See how you do that in the video and push the bar forward on every rep. Lock the hips high and keep them high, this will enable you to push the floor away instead of yanking the bar off the ground.

starting strength coach development program
    The first rep was good and then it all kind of fell apart. You are kind of doing the breath, squeeze and pull at the same time and they need to be separate. Your gaze is also all over the place.
    1 - bar over midfoot
    2 - grab the bar(without dropping hips)
    3 - shins to bar(without moving bar)
    4 - look at a spot 10 feet in front of you, get your breath, squeeze your chest up and flatten your back
    5 - drag it up the legs

Focus on doing each rep the same. Consider ditching the belt until you can get the back flat consistently

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast