starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My back angle is decreasing after coming up from the bottom and the bar is moving up my back after. My wrist angle also suffers after the bar shifts. What do I need to cue myself with to correct?
    I have stretched my shoulders and my hands are just inside the narrow marks of the bar. The belt is right on top of the crest of my hips (long legs/short torso).
    28 yo
    200#

The video is the last set @225
    Squat Form Check - YouTube

The bar looks to be about an in or so high right at your set up. It needs to below the spine of the scapula. Because of this, when you bend over, the bar is not locked in and moves up slightly. You relax your wrist to try to get it seated back down but then the heal of your hands push up causing the bar to want to move again.

Next time, approach the bar with a slightly wider grip. Keep your fingers open. Duck under and purposely have bar low on your back. Slowly adjust your back so the bar "slides" up. You will feel it catch in a shelf. Walk your hands in. Close your fingers and think about pinching the bar. Raise your chest and elbows and think about locking the bar in. Pin your elbows to your lats. If you feel your arms are loose, bring your grip in some more. Big breath. Stand up with purpose. One step back then the other. Eyes down, fixed. Back locked. Butt back, knees out, bend over. Reach down then drive up with your butt while keeping your back locked. Do not let the bar move. Keep it locked on your back and not in your hands.

I like our way better: Narrow your grip two fingers, come under the bar, keep your elbows down and tight, and squat like you did here. Not a bad set at all, but could have been more explosive out of the hole.

Thanks Rip. The narrower grip helped.
    I am still having issues with the bar going up my back and losing tightness in my upper back. I have worked on keeping my knees forward when hip driving out of the bottom as that has been an issue on some reps.

Here are videos from the last 2 lift days. I am thinking big chest while lifting but still losing it later in the set.

245, Set 1 Squat 245, Set 1 - YouTube
    245, Set 2 Squat 245, Set 2 - YouTube
    245, Set 3 Squat 245, Set 3 - YouTube

255, Set 1 Squat 255, Set 1 - YouTube
    255, Set 2 Squat 255, Set 2 - YouTube
    255, Set 3 https://youtu.be/L5VUMfHpFME

The bar is not low enough on your back.

It looks like the bar you are using doesn't have a center knurl, using a bar with a center knurl should help some also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The bar is not low enough on your back.
    I ask for my own knowledge, are you able to tell because the bar travels forward at the start of the decent instead of being in the vertical bar path?

1. It's too high on his back because I can see the placement, which is too high.

2. Experience has shown us that a bar moving up the back during a set is placed too high, and a bar moving down the back has been placed too low.

Quote Originally Posted by pd_oldguy View Post
    It looks like the bar you are using doesn't have a center knurl, using a bar with a center knurl should help some also.
    I use athletic tape on mine and it works great. Pete Troupos had suggested that to me and, just like my mom, he is always right.

starting strength coach development program
    Lol...wait...... Actually, this may be true.....

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    Pete Troupos had suggested that to me and, just like my mom, he is always right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast