starting strength gym

Thread: Clean and jerk check/resources for the jerk?

Default Clean and jerk check/resources for the jerk?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I figured I'd continue my streak of posting about things I suck at, and I suck at the jerk. This is just about my max, which is stupid, because I can power clean the ever living fuck out of it:

140 c+j on Vimeo

What can I do better?

I know Rippetoe advises doing a bounce instead of a deeper dip like I do in the above--I tried a bounce without much success, but perhaps it's one of those things that need to be practiced for a long time. I can certainly see the utility of better taking advantage of the elasticity of the barbell.

I'm more concerned about the split; I think I split quite high and have difficulty getting depth/bending my rear leg. As the weight gets heavier and heavier, I tend to split shallower and shallower. In my mind, splitting deeper is the easiest way to get a bigger jerk, so this certainly seems like something to address--I'm just not sure what the best approach is in order to do so! (Then again, I do see many lifters with monstrous jerks without particularly deep splits.)

Finally, can anyone recommend any decent written material on the jerk? Ideally there'd be an SS chapter on it--what's the next best thing? I've read Tommy Kono's book and Greg Everett's, but I found neither particularly helpful.

Thanks!

Maybe somebody should do a video about this.

With my limited social intelligence, I can't tell if you're being sardonic. (I know you have a couple of videos on the jerk.)

I forgot to include me failing a subsequent jerk, perhaps it's informative in regards to what I can do better: 145 kg c+j fail on Vimeo