starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squats have started to get hard for me again, so I had my partner take a video. Apologies for the poor shot setup, I didn't take the time to get it right. the decision to record was spur of the moment. I know there is a wrist flexion thing happening. I think it might be tied however to something else I'm seeing, it looks like thoracic flexion is happening. I figured I'd get some second opinions to see if what I'm detecting is correct, and maybe anything else I'm missing here.

Yes the wrists start in the right position and then begin curling over immediately. Keep them straight. Cut 2-3 inches off the depth. You actually need to focus on lifting your chest on the way up. May help to look forward a little more(3-5 feet in front of your feet). It looks like you are looking directly down between your feet

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Yes the wrists start in the right position and then begin curling over immediately. Keep them straight. Cut 2-3 inches off the depth. You actually need to focus on lifting your chest on the way up. May help to look forward a little more(3-5 feet in front of your feet). It looks like you are looking directly down between your feet
    Yeah, I think the wrist thing is a response to the dubious feeling of stability I get when the thoracic bends over a bit. I'm probably staring straight down too much because I've been very focused on what my knees are doing. I'll have to make a conscious effort not to. I've been worrying about the knees because I've been struggling with knee pain, but on this current run I've managed to kick it and REALLY want to be able to just push my squat up without it showing up again.

I just wanted to add, the advice helped a lot. I've been using a cue to "look forward, but through the eyebrows" to keep my head oriented correctly. It was hard to get a good gaze point on the floor in front of me since there is a wall so close in front of me. The flexion isn't happening anymore both in the wrists and in the upper back. I think the thoracic flexion was actually allowing that bit of extra depth I was getting too, looking at the video now. Don't have an up to date video to compare, but thanks, I think I have finally ironed all the big kinks out of my squat.