starting strength gym

Thread: first form check - squat

Default first form check - squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

I've been making consistent progress on my NLP, but I'm stalled at 145 lbs. I read the First 3 Questions article and I feel confident that none of those are the culprit for my stall. I'm thinking it's either a problem with my technique, time for a change in programming, or both. I switched to doing 5 sets of 3 right around 125lbs. I'd appreciate any guidance you'd be willing to share.

Here's me failing at 145.

Here's me with a successful set at 125.

Thanks,
    Ashley

Hey Ashley,

This won't be a one line fix, as there are a few variables to look at.

Form: Your stance looks a little wide for you. Bring your heels in a couple inches either side, this should help you keep your knees from caving inward.
    On the descent and ascent work on keeping the weight in the middle of the foot, drive your hips straight up staying on mid foot pressure.

3 Qs
    Going back to these. One of them is on recovery, can you confirm that you gave gained weight during your NLP?

Programme
    Where is the stall occurring? In the first of the sets right away or towards the last set of 3?

These squats are also about 2 inches too deep. Tighten up, narrow your stance a little, knees out/toes out. Focus on the rebound. And the questions: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Hello Ashley,

From a female lifter to another, here are a few lessons learned from my own NLP as they relate to the First Three Questions.

Question 1

A lot is said about females needing less rest between sets than males. That is true but doesn't mean we should stick with 3 minutes. For the squat, I have come to take 5-6 minutes between set 1, 2 and 3, and up to 7-8 minutes before sets 4 and 5. Even with pressing movements, I rest for 4-5 minutes before the last two sets.

Question 2

Are you still using 5-lb jumps? When I started my NLP, I found that overwhelming quite early. I made the switch to 2.5-lb jumps when my squat got to 110 lbs, while also switching from sets of 5 to triples. I have added another 100 lbs to my squat ever since.

Question 3

Your weight should be going up. Not like the men, obviously, but still. If you are like me and don't gain weight easily, you will have to put some deliberate effort into it. I personally refuse to track calories or macros. What I have found easiest was adding a Litre of Low-Fat (1%) Milk a Day (LOLFMAD) to whatever I normally eat. I gained 10 lbs in about as many months, with my BF% remaining pretty much unchanged (not that I care, but just saying).

Drive the ass up on the ascent, not back but up.