starting strength gym

Thread: DL form check

Default DL form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I was working on a new DL variation I call the humpback DL. That means that curve in my spine is intentional. Or not.

I’m 6’1”, 255, 39 years old.

When I’m executing the lift, in my head I’m doing the five steps but that doesn’t look as clear on video. Especially the 4th step, squeezing the chest up and flattening the back.

I do wonder if the issue is earlier in the set up though, as my hips look high (I’ve read the “most common start position error” article, but maybe I’ve overcompensated?). Or maybe I just need to squeeze harder in step 4.

I wasn’t paying close enough attention to showing my head throughout the video. If that’s a dealbreaker let me know. And yeah I hitch on the last couple reps so I’ll work through that too. Thanks in advance for any help!

DL 1-19-22 - YouTube

I just refer to these as incorrect deadlifts.

Your back looks like the letter C. You might need to try the Superman exercise that Rip mentions in the blue book to get a feel for what it feels like to contract your back muscles if you really can’t feel the difference.

In addition to the superman exercises, try widening your stance a bit. It might give more room for your back to set. Also would consider setting the back without a belt on video to see if there is a difference.