starting strength gym

Thread: Halting deadlift form check

Default Halting deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is my second attempt at a halting. How does it look to you?

You need to stay bent over more. You should be visualizing a pretty horizontal back the entire time.

It looks like the bar is set up 1/2" forward of your midfoot. Confirm that it over your midfoot next time you pull.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks Andrew, I'll bear those things in mind next time. On a second viewing I did think it looked more like half a deadlift rather than a halting. Will fix.

My pleasure. That's good you recognize that the halting is not just half a deadlift which is what most people think.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Sorry to resurrect this months-old post, but something's been puzzling me about haltings.

If the best way to improve your deadlift is to deadlift, why isn't the best way to improve the bottom half of your deadlift simply to do the bottom half of the deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyboy View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this months-old post, but something's been puzzling me about haltings.

If the best way to improve your deadlift is to deadlift, why isn't the best way to improve the bottom half of your deadlift simply to do the bottom half of the deadlift?
    Your "if" doesn't hold across a training lifetime. The point of using assistance exercises is to apply a stress that will drive progress, but that can be recovered from. If all that was ever needed to drive that was the One True Pull, then you wouldn't be doing partials in the first place.

The halting deadlift is intentionally a mechanically more difficult movement because you keep your shoulders over the bar, making it more stressful over the same distance off the floor than a half-deadlift. That's why we like it as one option to concentrate pulling stress. Note that SLDL, deadlifts off blocks, snatch-grip deadlifts, cleans, and snatches also stress the bottom ROM of a deadlift in different ways than the deadlift, but are all useful for the right lifter at the right time to drive the deadlift up.

Thanks, Stef. I get that. Haltings are part of my program and I appreciate the extra stress they put on my lats, even though I find them rather awkward and unnatural. I'm just curious why 'bottom-half-deadlifts' aren't on any list of DL assistance exercises. Are they useless? Or is it just that haltings give you more bang for your buck?

starting strength coach development program
    The difference between them is too subtle, as you have discovered.