starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hook Grip for Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Now that's inspirational. Makes me wonder if some grip assistance work once I hit intermediate level might be worth it.

What grip assistance work do you think would contribute to a 415k deadlift better than a 410k deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What grip assistance work do you think would contribute to a 415k deadlift better than a 410k deadlift?
    Heavy RDL with a double overhand grip? Using the double overhand grip on the deadlift warm-up's to develop the grip was suggested, so why wouldn't scheduling a little more double overhand work be an issue for an intermediate if the hook grip is already failing at 170 kg? It's done with a clean width grip, which I think taxes the grip more than a traditional deadlift too.

Could an intermediate not do the RDL every 3rd week rotating with rack pulls 1st and haltings 2nd, both of which would usually require straps? I thought the RDL was mainly in the blue book for a week of less heavy pulling and extra grip work for an intermediate anyway.

In honesty, I was hooking the damn deadlift warm-ups too since I was so used to it. I didn't think much of it until Cole brought it up. So the first change to make while I'm approaching the end of the NLP will be to double overhand my warm-ups.

I tend to be wary of avulsing a bicep tendon, so will not be using a mixed grip. A buddy of mine had a procedure to fix this a decade ago (tore during BJJ), and described to me in detail the 6 months of awful recovery that was. I'm in favor of not putting myself in any situation that might cause one.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Heavy RDL with a double overhand grip? Using the double overhand grip on the deadlift warm-up's to develop the grip was suggested, so why wouldn't scheduling a little more double overhand work be an issue for an intermediate if the hook grip is already failing at 170 kg? It's done with a clean width grip, which I think taxes the grip more than a traditional deadlift too.
    You do realize that recovery must occur, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You do realize that recovery must occur, right?
    Hopefully the sleep apnea machine I have ordered and 4000 calories a day will help that - that is until the apparent impending food shortages begin.

Danny Grigsby just pulled 1025lbs with a hook grip last weekend. While it was sumo... he lifted 1025lbs with a hook grip. full stop.

Danny Grigsby 465 kg (1025 lbs) RAW Deadlift World Record - YouTube

Dropped a 375 pound deadlift after the 3rd rep last workout. Also could just be that I need to switch to 5 lbs jumps instead of 10 - but my back was fine and been making steady progress with 10. Hook grip failed was the issue. Was able to pull another 2 after a short rest.
    It's not been mentioned but I assume you're using chalk? I wasted time learning this the hard way when I was messing around in my youth. Hook grip is more secure than double overhand but only becomes truly invincible with the addition of chalk. Wrapping my thumbs in a layer or two of athletic tape also helped to stop slipping as well making it more comfortable. I also learned to rotate my hands properly so I could get two fingers onto my thumb and the remaining two on the bar. My hook grip used to fail all the time until I worked this out. Now for a set of five I can hold onto anything my back will pick up with no risk of grip failure.

I've also taught the hook grip to people who've failed with it not due to weakness or improper technique but because they couldn't handle the discomfort. Again, a few layers of athletic tape around the thumb works wonders.

I use chalk. It's not the discomfort - I'm so used to the hook that my thumbs don't even get sore at all after I pulled 365x5 with it. The bars at my gym are larger in circumference than I've seen elsewhere. I also have a fair amount of wrist issues and use wrist wraps for all my heavy benching and pressing.

Cole's method didn't work for me - my mind just won't switch to feel secure enough to pull the 5th rep with a hook after pulling 4 with straps.

Instead I've been doing a few 10-20 sec. holds of the heavy bar after my deadlifts are done. And double overhanding any warm ups I can. I don't require much warm up for the deadlift. If I'm eyeing a meet I'll add some max weight practice in with the hook.

Last deadlift workout:
    Double overhand: 135x5, 225x3
    Hook: 315x1
    Strap for workset: 375x5
    Double overhand: three 275 lb holds as long as possible

Hopefully Rip will not have me killed in my sleep for the grip work.

You need to get a better bar. This fat bar shit cannot be compensated for.

starting strength coach development program
    I use chalk. It's not the discomfort - I'm so used to the hook that my thumbs don't even get sore at all after I pulled 365x5 with it. The bars at my gym are larger in circumference than I've seen elsewhere. I also have a fair amount of wrist issues and use wrist wraps for all my heavy benching and pressing.

Cole's method didn't work for me - my mind just won't switch to feel secure enough to pull the 5th rep with a hook after pulling 4 with straps.

Instead I've been doing a few 10-20 sec. holds of the heavy bar after my deadlifts are done. And double overhanding any warm ups I can. I don't require much warm up for the deadlift. If I'm eyeing a meet I'll add some max weight practice in with the hook.

Last deadlift workout:
    Double overhand: 135x5, 225x3
    Hook: 315x1
    Strap for workset: 375x5
    Double overhand: three 275 lb holds as long as possible

Hopefully Rip will not have me killed in my sleep for the grip work.
    Isn't an extra set of 3 with 10-20sec holds an additional stress for everything else other than your grip as well? Are you picking up 275lbs from the ground or are you doing it like a rack pull?
    Is this gonna allow you to progress?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast