starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hook Grip for Deadlift

Default Hook Grip for Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When using the hook grip for deadlift work sets or 1 rep maxes, are you supposed to squeeze the shit out of the bar, or squeeze just as hard as necessary and let the bar "hang" in the fingers?

I realize that for the clean and snatch you want to have a more relaxed grip so that the elbows can rotate quicker and since it's a submaximal pull it doesn't really matter if the grip is a bit looser. Was just wondering what would make for the most secure grip for heavy deadlifts.

Dropped a 375 pound deadlift after the 3rd rep last workout. Also could just be that I need to switch to 5 lbs jumps instead of 10 - but my back was fine and been making steady progress with 10. Hook grip failed was the issue. Was able to pull another 2 after a short rest.

Thanks

One of the advantages of the hook is that the bar rides lower in the hand, reducing the distance the bar has to be pulled. Try to make it work like that for singles. And don't be surprised if a set of 5 doesn't hold -- that's not really what the hook is for.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    I realize that for the clean and snatch you want to have a more relaxed grip so that the elbows can rotate quicker
    How does that enable your elbows to rotate quicker?

I realize that for the clean and snatch you want to have a more relaxed grip so that the elbows can rotate quicker and since it's a submaximal pull it doesn't really matter if the grip is a bit looser.
    Eh. I don't know if I'd say that. You're not going to want any slack in the system when you start the pull. But it is true that the grip should loosen up as you come back down to get the elbows through faster.

The grip is secure because of the mechanical interaction of the thumb and the fingers, so you don't have to squeeze the bar as hard. If the forearm muscles are looser, the elbow can rotate faster into the rack position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    One of the advantages of the hook is that the bar rides lower in the hand, reducing the distance the bar has to be pulled. Try to make it work like that for singles. And don't be surprised if a set of 5 doesn't hold -- that's not really what the hook is for.
    I hate the fucking mixed grip with a passion. Can't get my supinated arm not to tug. Is this an okay time to use straps?

Haven't guys pulled upwards of 800 with a hook?

A good plan for hooking is to do all your reps with straps then throw off the straps for the last rep. ie for your set of 5, do the first four strapped then the last one hooked. If you try to use hook 1st then strap, you end up trying to put straps on mid set and its a distraction. Also, I would pull all top singles hook grip to ready yourself for competition. And all warmups can be done double overhand to work on grip strength. I hated hook grip at first and now it doesnt bother me and grip is never a limiting factor in my pulls

Good plan, Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    A good plan for hooking is to do all your reps with straps then throw off the straps for the last rep. ie for your set of 5, do the first four strapped then the last one hooked. If you try to use hook 1st then strap, you end up trying to put straps on mid set and its a distraction. Also, I would pull all top singles hook grip to ready yourself for competition. And all warmups can be done double overhand to work on grip strength. I hated hook grip at first and now it doesnt bother me and grip is never a limiting factor in my pulls
    Makes sense - thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    I hate the fucking mixed grip with a passion. Can't get my supinated arm not to tug. Is this an okay time to use straps?

Haven't guys pulled upwards of 800 with a hook?
    Well over.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast