starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 330lbs

Default Squat Form Check 330lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    this is from my latest squat workout on Thursday. I am 1,88m and 98kg (6‘2‘‘ and 216lbs). Started the NLP in February after excercising for many years before.

I think my stance width could be widened a bit next time. Do you guys see anything else which needs my attention?

Thanks!

https://streamable.com/8v87s2

Below is today‘s last set of 5 with 2kg added (4,41lbs).
    The wider stance felt way better overall and helped to increase my depth a little. Hit the uprights on the right side on rep 4 unfortunately.

https://streamable.com/i08fls

I can't wait to see what a coach says, because I feel like those were really good. You hit depth, you shove your knees out of the way, your back stays in extension, and your grip looks correct to me. I'm not sure you need a wider stance. That one was treating you pretty well and from the angle the video is shot at it looks like it's shoulder width. I notice that you tend to try and look up a little more as the set goes on (Primarily the fourth and fifth reps) so don't forget to keep your eyes on the same spot. 10/10 sir!

Roy is right, you have a slight tendency to lift your head/chest on the way up. Keep them down. You may be over extending your spine. Think about doing an ab crunch when you get your breath

Thanks for your feedback guys!
    Very good point regarding me lifting my head/chest. I guess that is me misapplying the ”proud chest“ cue to prevent the bar from rolling up my back on the final reps.

One of the reasons "proud chest" is a shitty cue. We don't use it here.

Thanks Rip. I found the cue in this article a few weeks ago: Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

However, what I missed were the cautions at the end of the article to be careful when using it…
    What alternative would you recommend? Just using the master cue and improve my visualization skills of keeping the bar over the midfoot?

Also, now on my second read through of the above article I noticed the part about not relaxing and not fully exhaling between reps. That seems to be exactly what I tend to do after rep 3 and 4 when I get really hungry for air. Will try to keep my breaths more shallow next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. I'll take care of it.