Default Deadlift check and programming question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all!

Here's today's attempted set of five (done once a week):

Deadlift 340 lbs 5 (really 4) reps, one set. (PR done 4/23/2022) - YouTube

I'm 64, 5'6", 185 lbs.

I'm counting this as a 5 (possibly 4) rep set at 340 lbs. It felt like I completed the last rep but as I look at it, not so much. I think I lost focus and let my bar speed get too slow. Tips on form would be greatly appreciated! I realize I'm not making it easy by wearing sweats to keep my shins and knees from getting annihilated.

I do have a programming question though. This was a PR lift whether it counts as 4 or 5. I've been increasing weight each week by 5 lbs once a week for 5 reps (the only time I deadlift). I'm thinking of going up by only 2.5 lbs for 342.5 next week for a set of five. I hate the idea of losing my momentum but does it make more sense to just repeat a set of 5 at the same weight of 340 next week? It's my own equipment so I'm pretty sure adding my pair of 1.25 weights will in fact accurately increase the weight lifted by that amount.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey Doc,

It seems like you’re yanking on the bar on at least a couple reps. I wonder if that’s interfering with the floor press.

Also, any objections to a 180 deg rotation (not mid pull), to face away from the wall?

V

Squeeze the bar up; don’t snap and jerk it. This indicates you’re loose when you start the pull.

Turn around and show us your next check from the front quarter. I suspect the bar is over your toes, thus the shin smash.

The last one did slow down some. I don’t think you completely locked your hips out at the top.

What do you do for a light pull? If you don’t, you might consider it. Or triples instead of fives. Where’s your squat at?

Shoes and socks, please.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    It seems like you’re yanking on the bar on at least a couple reps. I wonder if that’s interfering with the floor press. Also, any objections to a 180 deg rotation (not mid pull), to face away from the wall?
    I’ll post next week’s Deadlift attempt facing camera at 45 degrees. I thought that I was doing my lift in two parts (after my initial set-up) 1) setting my back in one movement which takes the slack out of the bar. 2) actually doing the lift. Was I jerking the bar after setting my back?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Squeeze the bar up; don’t snap and jerk it. This indicates you’re loose when you start the pull.

Turn around and show us your next check from the front quarter. I suspect the bar is over your toes, thus the shin smash.

The last one did slow down some. I don’t think you completely locked your hips out at the top.

What do you do for a light pull? If you don’t, you might consider it. Or triples instead of fives. Where’s your squat at?

Shoes and socks, please.
    Yep, I apologize for the substandard video. Thanks for not flaming me for it! I’ll get it right when I repost. My shin smash isn’t really a smash, I just use sweats because I run the bar up my leg with each rep (making contact). Isn’t that right? I don’t do a “light” day between deadlift days. Is there a benefit to that? The programming I’ve generally seen for deadlift is once a week in the blue book and most of the programs in PPST.

I know that in intermediate programming (I.e. Texas Method) you can descend from doing fives to triples to singles. PPST does say one of the pitfalls is sticking with fives longer than you should. I should probably switch to triples but I’m kind of hoping that going up only 2.5 lbs may work with the fives. The previous week, I did five at 335 (5 lbs less) and all 5 reps went up really easy. I actually thought 340 would be a snap but if I’m honest with myself, I only was able to do 4.

I’m doing two triples at 250 lbs for my squats (with weightlifting shoes). Squat numbers always increase really slowly (I’m going up in 2.5 lbs increments).

What are the advantage of shoes in deadlift? They work for me with squats but barefoot seems more comfortable when I deadlift.

Thanks for the rec’s!

Hi J

Try this for filming next session: Sticky DLPC - YouTube
    Starting Strength Coaching in the UK.
    https://www.strengthrevolution.org/

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Hi John-

The guys are right, we'll need to see it from the front next time around to give you complete feedback. They're also right about jerking the bar off the floor.

To clean things up between now and then, try the following at each step of the deadlift setup:
    -Step 1: Widen your grip a finger width. Use your straps like this.

-Step 4: This is a standalone step. Don't rush it. Don't combine it with step 5. Squeeze all of the slack out of your arms, back, and the barbell. Load the entire system so it's tight and ready for you to apply pressure to the floor through your feet, without any shifting or deformation. Gradually load the system to ensure you're not jerking things around, rushing it, or combining it with step 5. Squeeze every last millimeter of slack out of the system.

-Step 5: Without dropping your hips, or releasing any of the tension in the system, gradually increase the amount of pressure you apply to the floor and try to "leg press the earth away." Do not think of this lift as a pull. Don't try to pull on the bar. Instead, push the floor with your feet.

Be slow and deliberate with each step. Increase speed once you're able to reproduce the movement pattern consistently.

I hope this is better (85 lbs lighter than first video to aid in incorporating changes).

2nd attempt to improve form.

Two things: You hips are a little low. Raise them a little until you feel your hamstrings tighten. And your grip is failing. You need to hook, alternate, or strap, because it's affecting the top of your pull.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Two things: You hips are a little low. Raise them a little until you feel your hamstrings tighten. And your grip is failing. You need to hook, alternate, or strap, because it's affecting the top of your pull.
    Thanks Mark. Normally, I use straps (can’t make hook grip work because of an injured thumb when I was a kid. Can do alternate grip but only for one rep due to elbow pain). I’ll work on tightening hamstrings.