starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press form check 131kg x 4

Default Bench Press form check 131kg x 4

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Two weeks ago achieved 130 kg x 5,5,5 paused. Today attempted 131 kg x 5 ended up with 4 reps narrowly missing the 5th. On video it appears the spotter grabbed it prematurely, but he did not. The bar had stalled in a position I couldn't grind out. I wonder if I am gripping too wide.... I feel like I have very little ability to grind a rep at this width. Reps 1-3 flew, 4 a small grind at the top, 5 no dice.

I am benching on my toes as per permitted in the federation I lift in.

Thanks for watching

131 kg x 4F bench press April 22 - YouTube

If you are going to make adjustments to the technique we teach - like wide grip, excessive arch, and not having your full feet on the floor then this is not the place to come for advice

I am glad it's a broad church.

Quote Originally Posted by Herp View Post
    Two weeks ago achieved 130 kg x 5,5,5 paused. Today attempted 131 kg x 5 ended up with 4 reps narrowly missing the 5th. On video it appears the spotter grabbed it prematurely, but he did not. The bar had stalled in a position I couldn't grind out. I wonder if I am gripping too wide.... I feel like I have very little ability to grind a rep at this width. Reps 1-3 flew, 4 a small grind at the top, 5 no dice.

I am benching on my toes as per permitted in the federation I lift in.

Thanks for watching

131 kg x 4F bench press April 22 - YouTube
    Also, pretty sure you had that 5th rep

What is a "broad church"? And your eye gaze is wrong too. You need a better spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Also, pretty sure you had that 5th rep
    I believe that he did as well. The spotter just robbed him of it. Educate your spotters sir, the bar stalling briefly is not sufficient cause for him to grab the bar. Just explain that unless the bar moves back towards you, you stall for an excessive amount of time (I'm talking like more than 5 full seconds), or the bar begins to move in a way that is not safe then he shouldn't grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is a "broad church"? And your eye gaze is wrong too. You need a better spotter.
    Please Wait... | Cloudflare

Thanks for the tip on the eye gaze.

@Roy I was never pressing that last rep out. If you're set up with a wide grip like that it's very hard to get any leverage from the triceps and press a rep out once the speed off the chest stalls. The bar stalled and it was taking all my strength to prevent it falling, let alone push it further.

Next session I will set up my grip like this How to Find Your Grip Width for the Bench Press with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I believe broad church is being used sarcastically...we are not welcoming of a wide range of opinions, beliefs or styles.

We have extremely diverse beliefs and opinions about many topics - both training and otherwise. We do not have different "opinions" about gravity though.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    We do not have different "opinions" about gravity though.
    Or mechanics. It's interesting that people think they are entitled to their own opinions about math.