starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC form check

Default PC form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm finally incorporating power cleans into the workouts, I've re-read the power clean chapter in the blue book and watched a few videos of Rip explaining it on youtube.
    How is my form? I find it a lot more comfortable to squat when catching the bar, is this okay?

PC 1
    PC 2
    PC 3
    PC 4
    PC 5

What did it say in the book and on the videos?

It says to use the 5 step deadlift to set up, start slow, keep elbows straight until jumping, during rack position keep elbows up and in, bar is resting on the meat of the deltoids, the trigger spot is always in the same location for the rest of your life.

This is not a power clean.

Thanks for the feedback Rip, can the squat clean swap out the power clean? I'm wanting to focus on Olympic lifts when I get to the Intermediate/advanced programming. Is there a big difference between a squat clean and a power clean? I'm assuming there is more power involved in the power clean?

Why do people always try and find a way to not do the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Town View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Rip, can the squat clean swap out the power clean? I'm wanting to focus on Olympic lifts when I get to the Intermediate/advanced programming. Is there a big difference between a squat clean and a power clean? I'm assuming there is more power involved in the power clean?
    For Starting Strength, you would not program in the full squat clean until you reach intermediate/advanced stages. This would mean after completing the novice linear progression. This is due to the shorter range of motion of the full clean which requires less power output than the power clean.

Until then, you would program for the power clean, and perhaps the power snatch. This focuses on the development of power to the extent that it is possible, and later on you can work on your technique in dropping under the bar for the clean, snatch, and jerk. Plenty of time for that after the NLP is done.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    For Starting Strength, you would not program in the full squat clean until you reach intermediate/advanced stages. This would mean after completing the novice linear progression. This is due to the shorter range of motion of the full clean which requires less power output than the power clean.

Until then, you would program for the power clean, and perhaps the power snatch. This focuses on the development of power to the extent that it is possible, and later on you can work on your technique in dropping under the bar for the clean, snatch, and jerk. Plenty of time for that after the NLP is done.
    PERFECT!! thank you for this clarification! Really needed to know the "why"

It's in the book you claim to have read.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post

wouldn't the full clean require more power because more weight can be used? The squat, bench, deadlift, and press are taught with the technique that allows us to lift the most weight possible through the proper ROM. Wouldn't a full clean be better because more weight can be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is not a power clean.
    Is this a power clean Rip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast