starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead Press Form check

Default Overhead Press Form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Video here. Shoulder press technique review for starting strength. 5/6/2022 - YouTube
    (Some reason I can’t over ride YouTube to not make it a “short.”)

This is my 3rd set of 5 reps. Weight is approximately 160lbs. Those are 2.5 pounders added on the bar.

In your set up ensure you take the grip as explained in the book, this will help keep the bar in position with the wrists up more and not bent back.

Movement: Get tight + Drive your hips more aggressively to generate the bounce before pressing the bar upwards, and secure your lockout over mid foot with an active shrug at the top.
    Starting Strength Coaching in the UK.
    https://www.strengthrevolution.org/

Hard to tell from the video, but it almost looks like you are keeping the bar a bit high in the start position and generating the bounce by dropping the bar.

It isn’t filmed, but I do that set up. The first set I’m fine, but usually 2 reps into the second set, my left wrist will roll on its own and I’m back to the old style to finish it out. I have the same issue on bench.

I think grip issue is going to be a very close limiting factor on my bench and press here soon.

And I’ll do that with the hips. Am I pushing the bar to far back? I feel like I am in the video.

What is the stance on that? In the book, Rip mentions to rest it on the shoulders like a front squat, but in the SS videos I see people kind of hold it a few inches up. But I am bouncing it some.

Not everybody can set the bar on the delts with a good press-width grip, because of long forearms. Use the closest grip you can manage, and just do your best.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Coach Rip.