starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Pls critique my form below. Work set deadlift 220x5.

DL 220x5 20220513 - YouTube

Any feedbacks, positive or negative?
    I don’t mean to rush anyone or to force a response in any way. But the lack of feedback is making me wonder if the post was made in a suboptimal way or something. Pls do let me know if that’s the case.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbonustoday View Post
    Any feedbacks, positive or negative?
    I don’t mean to rush anyone or to force a response in any way. But the lack of feedback is making me wonder if the post was made in a suboptimal way or something. Pls do let me know if that’s the case.
    I’m not an SSC by a long shot, but it looks to me like your stance could be wider by just a bit, and it also looks like your arms aren’t straight when you start your pull. You straighten them, and then just before you start pulling, a bit of bend gets in there.

You're not standing all the way up. You need to deliberately get your hips all the way through at the top.
    You're pulling around your knees at first. The bar should move in a straight line up to lockout.
    Keep your eyes fixed on one spot about 6-10 feet in front of you.
    Everything else looked spot on to me.

Plus on your first rep you dropped your hips a little. It didn’t happen on subsequent ones. Make sure you keep your hips high from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    You're not standing all the way up. You need to deliberately get your hips all the way through at the top.
    You're pulling around your knees at first. The bar should move in a straight line up to lockout.
    Keep your eyes fixed on one spot about 6-10 feet in front of you.
    Everything else looked spot on to me.
    thanks Roy. Appreciate your feedbacks.

On your point about pulling around knees, I don't really have any scraping on my shins or knees and this was without any socks or shin guard. My knees also stayed clear of bar path once the bar went up to knee level. I tried extending my knees more aggressively but it always results in the bar losing contact with my legs. As I understand from the blue book, the bar should never lose contact with your legs.

Here is my understanding of the mechanics and pls do correct me if you see anything wrong: the bar starts at mid foot (1 inch from shins) and goes straight up. Shin angle should start at 5-10 degrees (more precisely, 1 inch divided by shin length) and ends at near-vertical when the bar gets to knee level. In order for the bar to stay in contact with shins at all times, knees must move back in tandem with the bar going up. If knees move back too quickly the bar will either have to move back behind mid-foot (and as a result move out of its vertical path) or lose contact with shins while moving straight up.

Does this make sense? I apologize for pushing back but I'm just trying to get the form right.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    I’m not an SSC by a long shot, but it looks to me like your stance could be wider by just a bit, and it also looks like your arms aren’t straight when you start your pull. You straighten them, and then just before you start pulling, a bit of bend gets in there.

thank you!

the bar starts at mid foot (1 inch from shins) and goes straight up. Shin angle should start at 5-10 degrees (more precisely, 1 inch divided by shin length) and ends at near-vertical when the bar gets to knee level. In order for the bar to stay in contact with shins at all times, knees must move back in tandem with the bar going up. If knees move back too quickly the bar will either have to move back behind mid-foot (and as a result move out of its vertical path) or lose contact with shins while moving straight up.
    Correct.

starting strength coach development program
    thanks Roy. Appreciate your feedbacks.

On your point about pulling around knees, I don't really have any scraping on my shins or knees and this was without any socks or shin guard. My knees also stayed clear of bar path once the bar went up to knee level. I tried extending my knees more aggressively but it always results in the bar losing contact with my legs. As I understand from the blue book, the bar should never lose contact with your legs.

Here is my understanding of the mechanics and pls do correct me if you see anything wrong: the bar starts at mid foot (1 inch from shins) and goes straight up. Shin angle should start at 5-10 degrees (more precisely, 1 inch divided by shin length) and ends at near-vertical when the bar gets to knee level. In order for the bar to stay in contact with shins at all times, knees must move back in tandem with the bar going up. If knees move back too quickly the bar will either have to move back behind mid-foot (and as a result move out of its vertical path) or lose contact with shins while moving straight up.

Does this make sense? I apologize for pushing back but I'm just trying to get the form right.

thank you!
    No apology needed! I enjoy the push (I don't think what you said really counts as push back lol) and it help me further my understanding as well, so thank YOU.

Scraping the shins is not inherently a sign that you've done this correctly. Nor is not scraping them.
    The bar starts IN CONTACT with the legs, not 1 inch away from the shins.
    The bar maintains contact with the legs as the knees come back because your lats will hold the bar against them.
    So, If the bar moves straight up AND stays in contact with the legs then the lift is being performed as efficiently as possible.

The point I'm trying to make is that the bar isn't moving STRAIGHT up in your video. It moves at a slight diagonal until it hits your knees, then it comes back over the line is started in.

It may just be the angle the video is shot from. This particular issue would benefit from a side profile video to diagnose. Would you take a video from the side during your next heavy pull to give us a better look?