starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Form Check - YouTube

This is a friend of mine who I've been trying to "coach" for the past few weeks
    We only met once, from then on I've been trying to correct him online.
    Some data
    He's 22, 6'2", 190lbs (he started around 176lbs, he's trying his hardest to eat a lot and drink milk)

Weight on the bar is 84kg (185lbs), he is currently doing 2kg jumps.

I've tried correcting him mostly on keeping the knees locked and using his hips to reach depth. His grip is not the best, he has a really hard time keeping the elbows down, but I chose to ignore it for now since the bar seems to not be rolling on his back and he's not reporting any pain or discomfort.

He did tell me that he's feeling a sharp pain in front of his left hip, near the abs, when he gets out of the bottom. This used to happen to me too at first, and I'm pretty sure the reason was because of knee slide, hip relaxation at the bottom and consequent change in back angle.

Any help will be appreciated

Is there a problem with the video?
    If it's because of the youtube short, I can't do anything about it

All the standard shit is wrong: back too vertical, the accompanying knee slide, late/little hip drive, weight too forward on the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    All the standard shit is wrong: back too vertical, the accompanying knee slide, late/little hip drive, weight too forward on the feet.
    Any advice on what cues to give him considering I'm only talking to him online?
    I tried to explain things and tell him what cues to think, and he has gotten better since the start, but still has all these problems

Tell him to smash the mirror in front of him so he isn't tempted to watch himself.