starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I slamming my knees into extension? (Deadlift)

Question Am I slamming my knees into extension? (Deadlift)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip and everyone,

A couple of hours after deadlifting yesterday, my right knee felt uncomfortable. The discomfort seems to be deep inside with the ligaments, especially the back of the knee. The same area hurts more when I kneel down. It is similar to what described in this post I believe: bad deadlift form and hyperextended knee

I have a video of the deadlift set. I'm really sorry I didn't film it from a high enough point. Can you please give me some advice?

Starting strength forum form check 26/05/22 - YouTube

My guess is that the bar move towards the toes progressively, my knees slam into extension hard, my back unlocked. I have been locking my knees at the same speed in the squat too. The knee tweak might have come from the accumulation of the slams. Is this a real problem in my technique? Any feedback I'd really appreciate. Thank you.

The first thing I'd say is just "stop doing that." Arrive at the top, don't slam into it. Focus on pushing the floor away. Also, keep the bar on your skin and stay midfoot. As you said, you're getting forward.

But I based on this video, I wouldn't think these deadlifts would cause your knee pain. Did you squat during this workout? Do you have video of your squats?

By chance, were you the Huy living in Germany that called into the Call in Q&A a few weeks ago?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you Andrew. Yes I'm that Huy I started eating 6 eggs as a snack after seeing your article. I also use your tip for the deadlift tempo as well. Love your work coach!

I did squat in the same workout at 280lbsx5x3 but there was no video. I have the last set of squat I did on Monday with 5lb lighter I can link here. I can provide you another squat video tomorrow. I took some weight off in the last 4 workouts to learn to bend over more. I used to go deeper and drift forward and back during the squat.

280lbsx5x3 squat 23/05/22 last set - YouTube

I was thinking about the cue to arrive at the top. I will gently arrive to the top next time. At the end of the rep I thought "stand up" then for some reason I threw my head back and I started throwing my balance backwards. This maybe just me overthinking...
    I will gently arrive to the top next time. At the start I only thought about "pushing the world away" so keeping the bar contact with the body slipped my mind. I'll actively think out it.

Awesome! I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad I've been helpful.

One question I forgot to ask is "how long have you had this knee pain?"
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

It's been more than 48 hours. I could still add 5lbs to the squat today for 3 set across. There was no pain mid-set. Can you see if my squat is the cause of it? I arrive at the top position a bit more gently today. Thank you very much!

Squat video today: 130kg/286lbsx5x3 last set 27/05/22 - YouTube

Yeah, I should have asked how long it's been going on first.

Little pains and aches happen. Sometimes they happen from training and bad technique - usually they happen just from being alive. If it's been happening for a week or two, it's probably worth thinking about, but sometime stuff just aches.

Make sure you're eating and sleeping enough. Don't slam into the top of the deadlift, and you'll probably be fine. Report back in a week, and let us know how it's been feeling.

Yes sir! I'll come back in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Huy Huynh View Post
    It's been more than 48 hours. I could still add 5lbs to the squat today for 3 set across. There was no pain mid-set. Can you see if my squat is the cause of it? I arrive at the top position a bit more gently today. Thank you very much!

Squat video today: 130kg/286lbsx5x3 last set 27/05/22 - YouTube
    Those squats look excellent. You need to make sure that your hands don't move after you've unracked the bar. You can see your grip get visibly wider on the way out of the bottom on reps 4 and 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Those squats look excellent. You need to make sure that your hands don't move after you've unracked the bar. You can see your grip get visibly wider on the way out of the bottom on reps 4 and 5.
    Thanks man. It has happened many times. I'm thinking about narrowing the grip next workout.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm back and my right knee is pain free. I'm glad I didn't stop squatting and deadlifting. It still make noise sometimes but that's the same thing with my two shoulders. Maybe I was overthinking when I posted but I received many helpful feedbacks out of it. Thank you so much for your time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast