starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check- stuck

Default Squat check- stuck

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all!

Starting to struggle with the weight on the bar. Reset twice now and still struggling to get past 115kg. Tried advanced novice program (heavy, light, heavy) to no avail. Went to triples which I managed just about for three sets last week. Really took it out of me so felt that the novice period was over. Moved to 4 day split with 5x5 done on Tuesday at 90%. That felt good with no issues. Came to today and I couldn't manage past 3 at last weeks weight, 115kg. Just going backward now which is really frustrating. Just wondering if its a technique issue that is causing me problems.

Squat double 115kg - YouTube

Ive been resting 10 mins between sets, eating like a beast, and getting enough recovery as I can with 3 kids under 7. I'm 41, and have never barbelled trained until around 4/5 months ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It looks like the bar is too high on your back. There are likely programming issues as well, as 5x5 is not appropriate if you are 41 with 3 young kids

Damn, got the copy and paste. I have read the book several times (honest!), but as I'm learning there's a big difference between reading, understanding and implementing. Resources like this that Starting Strength provide are a godsend and help noobies like me from not standing there and pi**ing in the wind.

The space I train in is too small so the video angle is extreme to get me all in. I just went back and put the bar on my back and videoed it. Any lower it rolls down my back. I think I'm not lifting my chest therefore giving the appearance, something for me to look at.

In regards to the programming side, I was just following what was written in the Barbell Prescription in regards to the 4 day Texas method. If this isn't appropriate, what would be a better direction to head towards?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by James Faulkner View Post
    If this isn't appropriate, what would be a better direction to head towards?
    I would consider getting some coaching

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by James Faulkner View Post
    The space I train in is too small so the video angle is extreme to get me all in. I just went back and put the bar on my back and videoed it. Any lower it rolls down my back. I think I'm not lifting my chest therefore giving the appearance, something for me to look at.
    This is because your grip is wrong. You are holding the bar up with elbows cranked up too high, resulting in thoracic flexion. The bar clearly moves up during your squat here, almost to the high bar position. The rest of the squat seems ok to me, but the bar position is messing up your progress. There are many videos on the website which address this kind of problem, but if you don’t have the physical awareness of where the bar should go and how to keep it there, you might want to look into at least online coaching.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Jovan, I can see it now you’ve pointed it out