starting strength gym

Thread: Press Check

Default Press Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone. I'm having a hard time figuring out why the fifth rep of this set got stuck so bad. My main cues for the set were reaching and slamming forward under the bar. Any help is appreciated.
    I'm 6 ft, 200 pounds, 22 years old, eating 240-300 Grams of protein every day, and sleeping like a brick.

Texas Method Intensity Press 05/27/22 - YouTube

Looks like rep #5 got a little forward. Why no Press 2.0?

Heard that. I see it now.
    Forgive me, what does Press 2.0 mean?

WOW. I had no idea. I thought my hips were already playing the correct role but they are clearly not. I had a 1-on-1 with a coach last year and my hips just wouldn't do this lol. I thought I had figured it out since then, but I clearly haven't. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Not a form critique but if you add 30-40lbs of BW and a couple hundred pounds to your deadlift, your lats/traps and arms will be bigger and you wont have to hold the bar so damn low lol.

Gonna keep working on the deadlift and my body weight. I weighed 160 when I first heard about SS and it's totally changed my life. I very foolishly decided to omit the press from my NLP, for various very silly reasons. But now I'm on track and everything is feeling good. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm having a hard time figuring out why the fifth rep of this set got stuck so bad. My main cues for the set were reaching and slamming forward under the bar. Any help is appreciated.
    I'm 6 ft, 200 pounds, 22 years old, eating 240-300 Grams of protein every day, and sleeping like a brick.

Texas Method Intensity Press 05/27/22 - YouTube
    Are you sure you should be doing texas method? You have no log on the board and haven't really specified the loads on your press and squat form checks, so I'm just wondering

starting strength coach development program
    The first 8 months of my experience with the program were hindered by poor dietary choices, and alcoholism. I was able to get my squat up to around 250lbs but I got hard stuck there. I was putting back atleast a 6 pack every night, assuming I didn't get into liquor. Hell, sometimes I'd go with both. I knew that strength was important and that "The program" (Yes, I know that drinking massive amounts of alcohol on the daily constitutes a YNDTP response) was giving me better results than I'd ever thought possible. On Christmas Eve of 2021 I drank enough to feel a solid buzz, I don't know how much but I remember drinking seven 8% beers the week before and still walking straight so it must've been a lot. When I woke up on Christmas day, there wasn't even an inkling of desire for alcohol. I really can't explain it, but after I woke up that morning the urge to drink had just totally left me. There were a few times at work when I felt the urge to drink but I haven't touched a drop in over 6 months. (I've also had a career change, probably helps with not drinking)

Since then, all of my lifts have gotten unstuck. I started tracking my protein, food choices, and making sure to get a full night's worth of sleep every day. My squat is up to 290x5x5 with the best intensity day being 315x3x2 (Switched to triples after 310 barely made it up). I attempted 320 for 2 triples on the squat today but I failed (First time I haven't gotten a weight I pushed on in several months). My bench has went from 165x3x5, to 167.5x5x5 on volume day and 187.5x3x2 for intensity. (My pressing motions are undertrained, I'm working to correct it) My deadlift was stuck at 295x5 while I was drinking, I pulled 330x5 on Wednesday and I felt like I could've thrown 10 more pounds on.

So basically I think that I could've run the LP much further and more efficiently if I had put the correct emphasis on recovery. After I quit drinking, I pushed my squat to 285x5x3 in a linear fashion before switching to weekly programming. I'm sure that there was a better way to do all this but I've learned a whole lot from my fuck ups.

I'm scheduled to have all four of my wisdom teeth extracted at the end of this month. I was going to continue weekly programming until that forced break. When I return I plan to see if I can't get my lifts up in the 3x5 set-rep range with the LP I'll need to do to reestablish my baseline. I'm thinking that I'll be able to get my numbers up more efficiently by stretching the LP I'll do when I come back over as long a period as possible. Inevitably, I'll have to return to weekly programming at some point but I think I may have made the switch to fast this first time.

So to answer your question, no, I'm not sure I should've switched to intermediate programming. At the time I switched, the squats in particular had just become very difficult to complete and I felt that the backoff provided by switching the 3x5 weight to intensity day would make progress more feasible. It has worked well, but could it have worked better? Probably, but I'm gaining experience and learning all kinds of things so I feel blessed. I cannot express how much of a difference this method has made in my life. I've been training my parents since I started training and it has profoundly impacted our quality of life. My dad couldn't go on a 15 minute walk around our neighborhood without agonizing back pain. The man had trouble getting off the toilet sometimes. Now he's squatting 205 for sets of 5 across and his damn back has never felt so good. I am just so unbelievably grateful to be able to train. To have been put in the position to pursue this is such a blessing and I am thankful for the books, videos, articles, and coaches that make our progress possible.

I can't think of any other single factor besides sleeping enough or doing a modest amount of psilocybin that is so transformative to one's health. If you can breathe, you need to pick up a barbell. This activity is for everyone, a lot of people just don't know it yet.