starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (Xmas #2)

Default Squat form check (Xmas #2)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My 14-yo son started his LP back in March with the goal of increasing strength to improve water polo and basketball performance. He read the blue book, and I’m coaching him (with lots of help from the book and SS videos). I got my own squat form checked back in 2017, which really helped me a lot. Please check his squat - thanks much.

6’4”, 210 lbs, age 14 (15 next month), 225x5

Narrow his grip and drop his elbows, he's holding the bar up with shoulder extension. Other than that, he appears to have a decent coach.

Thanks, Rip - we’ll fix this. I also wanted to mention that the two-factor model has been hugely helpful in keeping my kid on track and providing him with a solid explanation of why he needs to keep training separate from practice.

This is very wholesome. All the best to his training!

I think I have the same problem personally so I want to contribute too. I'm not a coach and I might be wrong.

His right ankle lifts a bit in the later reps maybe because the right side of the bar dipped slightly down and forward at the bottom. Thinking about the bar in both of my hands travels in the thin column of air from the middle of both my feet (the master cue) helped me instantly after a rep with the bar dip. I squeeze the bar hard before going down to have a better feeling to do this cue. I hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    My 14-yo son started his LP back in March with the goal of increasing strength to improve water polo and basketball performance. He read the blue book, and I’m coaching him (with lots of help from the book and SS videos). I got my own squat form checked back in 2017, which really helped me a lot. Please check his squat - thanks much.

6’4”, 210 lbs, age 14 (15 next month), 225x5

You might consider getting him some lifting shoes. (Mabye I'm wrong but those look like sneakers)

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    You might consider getting him some lifting shoes. (Mabye I'm wrong but those look like sneakers)
    Agreed. Those are Nike Metcon 7, which have a lot of lifting-shoe characteristics, but I think he's earned himself an upgrade to the real deal.

starting strength coach development program
    Update on my kid after 1.5 years: things are progressing well considering his minimal training during water polo & basketball seasons. Some results that can be attributed largely to his training are earning varsity water polo first team all-league as a junior this last season and his development of likely the strongest shot in the league.

He’s now coaching several of his teammates in their own NLPs (and their eating!) since they’re realizing that my son’s strength is a huge factor in his performance. He’s even been asking recently to attend a seminar at WFAC - might be a great graduation gift next year. Please provide any additional feedback on his squat - thanks.

Revised stats: 6’6”, 225 lbs, age 16 - this is 315x5, set 2 of 3.