starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Press

Default Bench Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,

Here is my bench press from last Friday.

Set 1: Set 1 - Album on Imgur
    Set 2: Set 2 - Album on Imgur
    Set 3: Set 3 - Album on Imgur

The first video didn't let you see my legs very well but the later ones do.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

I only watched the third set.

Speed up the descent a little more, and don't pop at the top.

Press your feet into the ground to shove your butt into your shoulders. This will create a lot of rigidity which is helpful.

Don't pause when you touch your chest. Just bounce softly off your chest.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I only watched the third set.

Speed up the descent a little more, and don't pop at the top.

Press your feet into the ground to shove your butt into your shoulders. This will create a lot of rigidity which is helpful.

Don't pause when you touch your chest. Just bounce softly off your chest.
    Thanks for the reply!

I've heard from others previously to speed up the descent. I think it's largely a confidence issue. If I descend slowly, I feel less likely to be "overwhelmed" going back up. Not sure if that makes sense but basically I'm scared to go down too fast for fear that I won't be able to bring it back up. I'll definitely work on this!

Also, never heard the "shove your butt into your shoulder" cue, I think that will be helpful since I've only really been clenching my glutes when I bench.

Can you explain "don't pop at the top" a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow View Post
    Also, never heard the "shove your butt into your shoulder" cue, I think that will be helpful since I've only really been clenching my glutes when I bench.
    This is called "leg drive." A few videos have been done about.
    Don't clench your butt.

Can you explain "don't pop at the top" a bit more?
    You're accelerating into the top unnecessarily. Does that make more sense?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

This is called "leg drive." A few videos have been done about.
    Don't clench your butt.
    Ah, I had this wrong. Cool, I'll play around with that and post a follow-up. Should I create a different thread or use this one?

You're accelerating into the top unnecessarily. Does that make more sense?
    It definitely looks that way on the videos. I'm not intentionally speeding up at the top but I think I just slow down significantly at my "sticking point", continue applying the same force and it gets easier closer to the top. Should I intentionally try to slow it down near the top of the ascent?

Ah, I had this wrong. Cool, I'll play around with that and post a follow-up. Should I create a different thread or use this one?
    You can just keep it in this thread if you like. Unless you wait like a month in which case it might get buried, and you should just start a new thread and link to this one. I'm not entirely familiar with how all of the forum functions work, so Rip might recommend something different.

It definitely looks that way on the videos. I'm not intentionally speeding up at the top but I think I just slow down significantly at my "sticking point", continue applying the same force and it gets easier closer to the top. Should I intentionally try to slow it down near the top of the ascent?
    It's probably not the biggest deal, but you certainly don't want to accidentally flex and extend your wrists and drop the bar on yourself. It probably won't happen, but if you're intentionally accelerating into the top, stop focusing on that.

You can just keep it in this thread if you like. Unless you wait like a month in which case it might get buried, and you should just start a new thread and link to this one. I'm not entirely familiar with how all of the forum functions work, so Rip might recommend something different.

It's probably not the biggest deal, but you certainly don't want to accidentally flex and extend your wrists and drop the bar on yourself. It probably won't happen, but if you're intentionally accelerating into the top, stop focusing on that.
    I gave the leg drive a try yesterday at the gym and it certainly felt a lot stronger. I didn't get any videos since I was still just experimenting with the technique but I will have one up shortly. Thanks

Definitely not intentionally accelerating. I'm curious to see how it'll look with the leg drive incorporated.

Thanks

You're welcome.

Here is the last set of yesterday's session. My apologies, I don't think the video angle was great and I would have preferred landscape to portrait but that wasn't obvious to the person I asked to film me. It definitely feels a lot stronger than my previous bench press form. It also took about half as long.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

starting strength coach development program
    This is better. Keep working on pushing your butt into your shoulders using your legs. I can see it's a little loose by your knees wiggling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast