starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 63 yo Master

Default Squat Form Check 63 yo Master

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Team,

This form check is to help me assist my father with his squats. For the life of me, I can not figure out what the issue here is. His issue is with bar path, and the weight rocking forward out of the hole. We did not get a video today, but we tried adding a belt and that only seemed to make the issue worse with his knees buckling forward into and out of the hole.

Prior to these videos, the issue was much more pronounced with his shoulders not rising at the same rate as his hips out of the hole, causing the weight to come forward of the toes by over an inch. He has been given the ques to draw in a deep breath, and drive with his hips out of the hole.

My current guesses are a core that is a bit too weak, and not enough extension of the lower back. But I am no trainer or coach. I just follow what's in the books .

Any help would be appreciated.

Stats:
    63 yo male (has lifted all his life, but never squatted for any appreciable amount of time; hence the overstrong bench). 5'6" 164 lbs. Currently not eating enough IMO (~2500 cals), but getting near 1g per lb. in protein.

1 month into NLP, Phase 1 for 2 weeks, now into Phase 2 -

SQ: 155lbs. 3x5
    BP: 125 lbs. 3x5 (Can do bodyweight for reps but is following the progression per my instructions)
    OHP: 80 lbs. 3x5
    DL: 205 lbs. 1x5

No belt:
    Dad Squat Form Check - YouTube

Today with Belt:
    Dad Squat Form Check w/belt - YouTube

Can't see your stance width due to the shitty video angle. They look pretty good, but stop doing the first two reps on the same breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Can't see your stance width due to the shitty video angle. They look pretty good, but stop doing the first two reps on the same breath.
    He’s going a little wider than shoulder width here. I’ll have him bring it in.

As for the bar moving forward, any tips to help him keep it back?

He needs to reach back with his hips on the way down. He could stand to stay in his hips on the way out of the hole for just another second or two.