• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height : 6'3"
    BW : 225
    Squat Weight : 209

My Comments :

- 6th Workout on trying to start a linear progression

- I've tried very hard to get under the bar with a narrow grip but flexibility issues make it seem impossible. I did suffer a labrum tear (bony bankart lesion) in my left shoulder that was surgically repaired in 2013. left Shoulder stiffness/pain/instability does come and go with different angles / stretches especially when not warmed up.

- I notice that my feet are a bit unstable off the surface of the floor (Something I noticed while uploading the video)

- I do know that the knees are supposed to come ahead of the toes in the average case. I have not been able to get my knees to track past my toes without my heels coming off the floor. Whether this is because of anatomical reasons (Flat Feet / Limb ratios) or me not doing it correctly, I request your review and expertise.

- I am left hand dominant. Right after this particular exercise I did feel as though my right side was a little more strained than the left side. I'm wondering if this is just because my dominant side is stronger or a mistake that is evident in the (shitty) form.

- This is my first form check request, would be happy to re-shoot if the angles are not good enough.

Set 1 : Side Angle

Set 2 : Front Angle

Set 3 : Rear Angle

Thank you for your time and patience!

You need to keep your eyes down(look at a spot 3-5 feet in front of you) and do not look at the mirror. This is causing you to lift your chest and shift your weight forward as you come up. Drive your hips the whole way up. Also if you want to be a successful lifter you need the most basic equipment. Weightlifting shoes and a decent belt

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    You need to keep your eyes down(look at a spot 3-5 feet in front of you) and do not look at the mirror. This is causing you to lift your chest and shift your weight forward as you come up. Drive your hips the whole way up. Also if you want to be a successful lifter you need the most basic equipment. Weightlifting shoes and a decent belt
    Well I don't want to sound like a moron but I'm aware of the look-down while squatting concept. I'm only now realising that I almost involuntarily look into the mirror while ascending. I was able to squash that my actively not thinking about it and the recent workout felt more stable. I'm a little shocked that I didn't notice I was doing this...

Drive your hips the whole way up.
    Just trying to understand this, is this related to the fact that my hips are pausing on the way up and maybe willing a little sideways before completing the lift?

Also if you want to be a successful lifter you need the most basic equipment. Weightlifting shoes and a decent belt
    Fully agreed. Lifting equipment is pretty scarce where I'm from (especially getting the right weightlifting shoe size), but I'd like to say that I'm moving to the US for studies this fall and I'll make my investments then rather than try to import equipment that might get lost in transit / held at customs / extra import duty and shipping charges. In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't imagine not having my own shoes and belt. Right now I'm using the shitty communal gym's shitty belt.

Is it okay if I post a followup video sometime later? Also are the other mechanics looking all right? I did get the book many many years ago (around my join date) and read it then but I need to find time to re-read it and study it in depth once more.

Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. One single cue did make noticeable difference for me when I attempted 220 today.

All the cues are related. If you look down, keep your chest down, and stay in your hips(not letting yourself lift your chest on the way up) you'll be ok

Your grip is far too wide. This creates lots of problems. Look at the pertinent videos on the website.

I give you credit for finding a way to squat in a gym that seems to have the world record for worst equipment choices.

I'd sooner squat in a pair of regular flat soled shoes than a pair with cushion like you've got there. If you don't have access to squat shoes in your area, at the very least don't put the equivalent of a mattress under your foot.

starting strength coach development program
    All the cues are related. If you look down, keep your chest down, and stay in your hips(not letting yourself lift your chest on the way up) you'll be ok
    Looking down definitely made things feel more stable, thank you for reinforcing that cue!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    Your grip is far too wide. This creates lots of problems. Look at the pertinent videos on the website.
    I believe you're talking about this video in particular right? Trying to narrow the grip causes a lot of pain in my left shoulder which has had a labrum repair and instability issues ever since. I might be missing something an in-person coach could fix though.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice
    I give you credit for finding a way to squat in a gym that seems to have the world record for worst equipment choices.
    I needed a giggle today, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante
    I'd sooner squat in a pair of regular flat soled shoes than a pair with cushion like you've got there. If you don't have access to squat shoes in your area, at the very least don't put the equivalent of a mattress under your foot.
    I feel your point whole-heartedly. These are the only shoes I have with some form of arch support that prevent my heels from coming off the ground when squatting. I'm probably one of the very few asians that can't squat barefoot without their heels coming off the ground. I have very wide feet with a collapsed arch and I hope you believe me when I say that I have had trouble finding well-fitting footwear my whole life. (Size Inventory here is atrocious since average population isn't tall/wide feet and I need probably need custom insoles)

Thank you all for your feedback, it definitely seems like I have a bunch of things to figure out before I can pick up some decent strength. It's a bit frustrating but I needed a reality check and hopefully I'll figure things out in the near future. For now I really appreciate your time in looking at the videos.