starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveyboy View Post
    I'm not a coach and I can't lift anywhere near as much as Pierre-Henry, but I'm wondering why nobody has mentioned the lack of safety bars here. What if you fail with a weight like that on your back? Is it not extremely dangerous?
    Does he look like he is close to failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Does he look like he is close to failure?
    No, I suppose he doesn't. But he does make me nervous with those weights. What if a gorgeous Frenchwoman crosses his line of vision as he is on his way down, and he loses concentration for a moment?

He is using bumpers and this looks like a CrossFit type gym, I doubt they would be angry if the just dropped the weights.

No, I suppose he doesn't. But he does make me nervous with those weights. What if a gorgeous Frenchwoman crosses his line of vision as he is on his way down, and he loses concentration for a moment?
    Gorgeous French woman?

I was puzzled as well.

Well, I would not budge. One Frenchwoman is enough, my survival instinct is well aware of that.
    I agree on the fact that it's far from optimal: no one should go behind me, no matter the weight.
    I usually task someone to do the police but the culture is just not there ; this is a problem in itself.
    I even tried to do some kind of "protected space" behind me using weights but people just do not care.
    It reminds me of a game named "Lemmings".
    It has its charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    He is using bumpers and this looks like a CrossFit type gym, I doubt they would be angry if the just dropped the weights.
    Yes, no one cares.

What if a gorgeous Frenchwoman crosses his line of vision as he is on his way down
    There is a 20 feet container right in front of him, which I think makes this scenario less than likely.
    I actually think they put it there expressly to avoid the type of accident you are referring to.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre-Henry F. View Post
    It reminds me of a game named "Lemmings".
    I love that game!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre-Henry F. View Post
    I even tried to do some kind of "protected space" behind me using weights but people just do not care.
    <Stereotyped joke Alert>
    Have you thought about putting a couple of A3 signs, written in big bold letters, saying "Want a job? Ask me after my set"

</>

Seriously: I had similar problem with people's awareness (or rather, lack of it) in a gym here on the Cote d'Azur. I once had a lady walking right towards me just as I started to pull a snatch. The bar must have gone not four inches from her face; her main reaction was to look at me with a puzzled, not even angry, expression. When I tried to explain to her that you should not come close to someone who is pulling a bar of the floor, she just did not seem to understand why would anyone do a pull in the first place.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Seriously: I had similar problem with people's awareness (or rather, lack of it) in a gym here on the Cote d'Azur. I once had a lady walking right towards me just as I started to pull a snatch. The bar must have gone not four inches from her face; her main reaction was to look at me with a puzzled, not even angry, expression. When I tried to explain to her that you should not come close to someone who is pulling a bar of the floor, she just did not seem to understand why would anyone do a pull in the first place.
    IPB
    Yeah...
    A few years ago, there was this seemingly infinite thread in the forum about all kind of folly witnessed in gyms.
    It was a lot of fun.
    For example, a guy who presses 30kg less than me asked me to show him how I do it.
    His reaction was: "But, it's against all the theory!"
    I later learned that he had a STAPS (sciences et techniques des activités physiques et sportives) degree (equivalent ot PhysEd).
    If only he had chosen to get a Bachelor of Science in petroleum geology from Midwestern State University, who knows how better he would understand the press.
    Anyway, the wound is healing up.
    I hope to post a nice video with the improved squats.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast