starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre-Henry F. View Post
    I hope to post a nice video with the improved squats.
    Big chest, elbows high, ass back, do not push on the bar.

But elbows too high can be a bad problem.

Pierre-Henry, I'm finally back at training and also concerned about my bar position. My workset weight is much lower than yours (120's) but I found this Classic Rip tutorial video from, wow, practically a decade ago, and it was descriptive and helpful for me:
    The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I had been starting to think that I needed the bar much lower than at the top tips of the shoulders, but Rip clears up that common misconception at around 5:14. And he also shows the most effective way to reach and feel for your spine of the scapula at
    4:02 ish.
    I hope it can help you as well!

This is tomorrow's session: Google Sheet.

I've put together a list of instructions found in the SS website and SS's Youtube channel.
    Done correctly, my squats may be graded "Textbook squats".

Top means top of the squat.
    Bottom means bottom of the squat.
    Top → Bottom means the mouvement from to top to the bottom.

Code:
    Id                            Instruction                                      Source
    --                            -----------                                      ------
    1   Top.           Bar.       Low bar squat position.                          Video from Nick Delgadillo & A bunch of guys.
    2   Top.           Grip.      Narrowest grip possible.                         Same video, same Rip.
    3   Top.           Wrists.    Wrists are straigth.                             Video from a younger Rip (2012 millésime .
    4   Top.           Wrists.    All of the thumbs are over the bar.              Same video, same Rip & an other one.
    5   Top.           Elbows.    Elbows up….                                      Same video, same Rip & The youngest Rip so far.
    6   Top.           Elbows.    …but not too much.                               A more recent Rip millésime. & A very recent Rip millésime.
    7   Top.           Wrists.    Neither wrists or hands are not under the bar.   Same video, same Rip.
    8   Top.           Elbows.    Elbows are not under the bar.                    Same video, same Rip.
    9   Top.           Chest.     The chest is up.                                 Ray Gillenwater.
    10  Top.           Grip.      « Jack the bar fooooorward ».                    Same video, same Rip.
    11  Top.           Stance.    The stance is about shoulder width.              Older Rip, better microphone.
    12  Top.           Toes.      Toes are pointed out about 30°.                  Same video, same Rip.
    13  Top → Bottom.  Hips.      Hips move straigth back as you initiate decent.  Adam Fangman.
    14  Top → Bottom.  Bar path.  Master Cue.                                      CJ Gotcher.
    15  Top → Bottom.  Knees.     No knees movement after a 1/3 of mvmnt.          Nick Delgadillo.
    16  Bottom.        Back.      The back is inclined at about 45°.               Same video, same Rip.
    17  Bottom.        Back.      The back is as flat as you can get it.           Same video, same Rip.
    18  Bottom.        Back.      Eyes are looking down at the floor.              Same video, same Rip.
    19  Bottom.        Knees.     Shove your knees out.                            Same video, same Rip.
    20  Bottom.        Knees.     Knees are on a parallel line with the feet.      Same video, same Rip.
    21  Bottom.        Knees.     Knees are just a little in front of the feet.    Same video, same Rip.
    If anything is missing, please let me know.
    See you tomorrow with the videos.
    Thanks.

PHF

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Thank you, Nicholas.
    I agree with you: this video is useful and full of: "You'll notice that" followed by a interesting fact.
    The content has evolved through the years.
    The latest videos are adapted to short attention spans with just enough information to get the ball rolling.
    The older videos are longer, with many more details.
    And everything is free which helps a lot getting the message out there.
    But well, skulls are thicker than ever, mine included.
    Lets see how long it takes to unlearn that wonky squat of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre-Henry F. View Post
    Yeah...
    A few years ago, there was this seemingly infinite thread in the forum about all kind of folly witnessed in gyms.
    It was a lot of fun.
    It's still there, one of the few threads (the only one?) that survived The Rippening.

Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Pierre-Henry, I'm finally back at training and also concerned about my bar position. My workset weight is much lower than yours (120's) but I found this Classic Rip tutorial video from, wow, practically a decade ago, and it was descriptive and helpful for me:
    The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I had been starting to think that I needed the bar much lower than at the top tips of the shoulders, but Rip clears up that common misconception at around 5:14. And he also shows the most effective way to reach and feel for your spine of the scapula at
    4:02 ish.
    Pierre-Henry has got fairly large deltoids, and if you look at his initial videos, you can clearly see that the bar is not resting on them, but an inch or so higher.

Default Fixing my squats: session 2

Context
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    It's still there, one of the few threads (the only one?) that survived The Rippening.

Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

IPB
    No way!
    What a great thread!
    Seriously, I thought that Adam Fangman was fucking around with these ridiculous squats.
    Look at the bar path.
    Who on earth can be that bad?
    Little did I know that yours truly is up to the task.
    The bar path is so wobly it's kind of fun.
    I have my place high in this hilarious thread.
    Youtube asked me if these videos are made for kids ; I'm not so sure.
    No gorgeous Frenchwoman in sight to make any excuses. Sad.

Objective
    All instructions that should be followed are listed in this post.

Videos
    Squats, 170kg, 5 reps, 0°
    Squats, 170kg, 5 reps, 45°
    Squats, 170kg, 5 reps, 90°

Discussion
    Lets check which instruction I could not follow.

Code:
    Wrists are straigth                            : no they are not.
    All of the thumbs are over the bar             : nope.
    Elbows up…                                     : no. For some reason, they do not follow what the mushy thing in between my ears tells them to do.
    Hips move straigth back as you initiate decent : some coordination issues there.
    Master Cue                                     : no comments.
    I broke the skin on my back again.

Corrections
    I thought the wound was healed ; but no.
    I should avoid low bar squat for at least 3 more weeks to have this thing healed up.

As Alex Ptacek pointed out, I should deload even more probably going as low as 160kg or 150kg.
    The idea is to squat slowly enough for my brain to adapt.
    I learn fast when things are explained slow enough.

If you have better ideas, please let me know.

Thank you,
    PHF

I have no business commenting on your squat (or anyone else's, really).
    I'll just note that your left hand seems to be further out than the right (viewed from the back, using knurling as reference); I'm talking 2cm (1inc) at most.
    I am also noting that you don't finish the movement with straight legs, meaning you never lock your knees when standing, not even at the beginning. I have no idea if this is relevant.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    You should drop the weight and work back up. This is mostly ok, with minor issues, all of them resulting from the improper wrist and elbow position and lack of proper hip engagement. You are moving onto your toes slightly for reps 2-5, and your knees are caving in a little. Move the ass back, not the chest down and forward, bend over by allowing your body to track the movement of your ass, not the other way around. I think you should be able to clear this up easily once you drop the weight and slow down. Rep number one on the 45 degree angle video is the best one, except for the pause of course. I bet that one felt the best.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast