starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi!

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my squat?
    I've let the bar slipped @ 160kg and it made a hole in my back.
    Here is the related post: link to ss log.
    So, I've made a video of my squat, it was a light day , last series of a 5x5 @ 141kg. See the youtube video https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gQ7Bf05wZtE.
    That was after the injury so I was quite motivated to not let the bar roll over the wound.
    But well, I guess that the squat is still far from perfect: maybe the cause of the bar slipping from my back is still apparent for your expert eyes, but not mine.

Thank you,
    PHF

the bar needs to be an inch lower

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You think he'll have a little easier time leaning over if he does that?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    You think he'll have a little easier time leaning over if he does that?
    I do. Also, it will enable him to shift his center of mass back, which will enable him to get the knees out harder, which should stop the slight knee slide. This is an amazing squat given that the bar is not really in the low bar position. If he puts the bar in the right place, he should gain 30 pounds on the squat in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Well, here it is: https://youtube.com/shorts/lb4PR0YI1cA?feature=share
    Relevant entry in the SS log: link.
    YT does not ask me whether or not I want the "YouTube Short" format.
    Now, I squatted as I usually do and, as expected, the skin broke to reveal a nice little hole the size of a 2€ coin.
    I can see many defects: wrists are not straight, third rep goes clumsily (is that a word?) left and right.
    Second rep has a dynamical problem: my lower back accelerate too much close to the bottom.
    But, for some reason the bar roll a little and this, I cannot explain.
    It seems to me that the "chest is up", but maybe not enough?
    Bar path seems O.K...
    Any idea?

Thank you,
    PHF

Look at all of your reps, you start each one with the bar in the proper low bar position, but as you are almost done with the squat, you yank the bar into the position in which you were previously used to having it sit. I think this is just muscle memory, you are used to have the bar sit higher up and you are instinctively seeking this position. You can see, however, that this is just wasted effort, because you then have to drop the bar lower and start the whole process over. You are also used to positioning the elbows differently, which is lower than needed to keep the bar tight in the low bar position. See how you start every rep with straight wrists, but then as soon as you start descend they shoot back down, because you are used to having your elbows lower, you you compensate for this with wrist extension. Think about screwing the bar into the low bar position with both your elbows and your chest as you unrack and keep your wrists as straight as you can. It will take you several training sessions, but you will get a feel for it. I got out of the habit of doing exactly what you are doing by cueing myself to keep the elbows pinned to my body.

The bar is moving because you're pushing on it. As soon as you start to descend, you push on the bar. Feel the weight heavy on your back and light in your hands. You need to stop doing this immediately, your elbows and forearms will thank you. Find a weight that you can manage without pushing on the bar and work your way back up.

In addition, your stance is too wide.

Thanks for the reply.
    O.K. so, the problem comes from an ill learned squat which resulted in a grip that looks like that:

instead of that:

source: Starting Strength

It's not like Rip did not tell us:

To make it worse, this wrong grip has become so natural to me that I do not even notice the problem.
    So I have to unlearn to squat and then squat again, great.
    O.K. so, what needs to be done:
    • Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
      Think about screwing the bar into the low bar position with both your elbows and your chest as you unrack and keep your wrists as straight as you can.
    • The elbows need to be higher than what they are currently now.

Is that it?

Thank you,
    PHF

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre-Henry F. View Post
    [*] The elbows need to be higher than what they are currently now.[/LIST]

Is that it?

Thank you,
    PHF
    Slightly higher and pinned to your body more. You need to lift your chest and elbows to a point in which you feel that the bar is siting on a shelf, completely on your back, with minimal arm involvement. As Andrew says, you will likely have to take some wight off and work back up. Of course, once you get the bar seated properly, you will want to send your as more back than is the case now.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Jovan and Alex.
    I've come to find kinds of unofficial ratings: "Textbook squat" and "Textbook squats".
    This rating has been issued by Rip to a handful of squats according to the search functionality of the forum.
    Just search for "Textbook squat" and "Textbook squats".
    As of today, here are the squats:

With these in mind and your suggestions, I will hopefully improve my squats and my progress.
    Thank you.
    PHF

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast